VOGONS

First post, by OCG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently, Highway Frogs - a Frogger community made a pretty good patch that allows Frogger's Adventures: The Rescue to work on Windows 10 - something that has been an issue for years due to SecuROM 4 DRM.
While the game does work on my PC, unlike many other people, I have trouble running it with dgVoodoo. I detected that for some reason game crashes when using D3D8.dll file that comes with dgVoodoo. This does not happen to other people from the community who used dgVoodoo to upscale the resolution of the game since it does not come with such an option itself.
I did one experiment. I have used a D3D8.dll file that comes from the d3d8to9 project. Using this file, I am able to run the game upscaled but the textures are corrupted. Others who are managing to run the game with D3D8.dll that is included in dgVoodoo have normal textures of course. Does anyone know what could cause my PC to refuse to run game in Direct3D 8 mode? I have latest NVIDIA drivers and all updates on my PC. I use DisplayPort cable and I have a 165 Hz monitor. I don't know if these things can be the problem. No other games I tried on dgVoodoo had this problem but that might be since I am not sure if they did not use Direct3D 8. Really hoping someone can help me to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 2, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It sounds like you have a good guess what's wrong already:

OCG wrote on 2020-08-21, 19:54:

I use DisplayPort cable and I have a 165 Hz monitor. I don't know if these things can be the problem. No other games I tried on dgVoodoo had this problem but that might be since I am not sure if they did not use Direct3D 8.

The game doesn't like that many resolutions (dgVoodoo injects a few classic ones, and I think orders them in a different way than native Windows?). You need to limit the available resolutions, either:

1) Right click tabs in dgVoodooCpl.exe > Show all sections of the configuration > DirectXExt > Enumerated resolutions > Defaults: Classics
2) Edit dgVoodoo.conf > search for "DefaultEnumeratedResolutions" and set it to "Classics"

I'm surprised you haven't run into this before if you've tried many games in dgVoodoo, I've had problems with a lot of games.

Dege: d3d8to9 to dgVoodoo does make textures corrupted in this game. I just say that because it wasn't entirely clear to me that's what he was doing.

Reply 2 of 2, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow. I couldn't run Frogger - Rescue for a long time but now I tried Swampy launcher and it works nicely (latest WIP). Which version of dgVoodoo did you try? At which point does it crash (right at startup or ingame)?

I ask it because on the other hand, Frogger - Great Escape crashes often ingame (or right after the initial logo screens) for unknown reasons.
It even depends on the "game speed", I mean when I launch the game with tracing enabled in dgVoodoo, which causes a big performance loss, then it survives and I couldn't yet figure out how it all is tied to dgVoodoo.

(Except for another problem: the game must be launched with 'deferred screen mode switch' enabled because it calculates its internal HUD scaling from the initial window size, so most of the text is missing by default.)