VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dege,

Seeing how the new ATI cards are coming out soon are you tracking any issues as far as Nvidia vs ATI and which one is better as far as compatibility with dgvoodoo2?
As far as support which one has provided better support as far as fixing bugs in their drivers or feature levels?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 4, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know you prefixed this with Dege, but you didn't send him a PM so I assume you want to know what other people think.

dgVoodoo 2.54 works fine with AMD cards.
dgVoodoo 2.54-2.64 has texture issues.
dgVoodoo 2.7+ has textures issues with D3D11 render, but D3D12 works with some drawbacks (go to 10. Direct3D 12).

That all adds up to quite a few edge cases where you might wish you had a Nvidia card. You also might never run into any of those edge cases and be perfectly happy with dgVoodoo and an AMD card.

Reply 2 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks.

Purchased a 5950x to give AMD a shot this round even though the too many cores (same issue would affect Intel as well) and VME (Currently AMD only issue) issues will probably bite me in the ass with app and game compatibility.

More than likely will stick with Nvidia once they release a card with enough vram. Think the cpu upgrade is enough app and game breakage that I feel like having to jump through hoops for.

My 1080ti is getting long in the tooth but suprisingly works pretty well at 3840x1600. (Thanks Gsync!)

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-11-06, 18:14. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 4, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can say the exactly the same as Zell, point by point.
I don't have an AMD card so I can't speak by experience, but by the feedback I got, AMD should work fine if you explicitly select D3D12 for output API.
Aside from performance, even Intel HD Graphics seems to work as expected, both with D3D11 and 12.

That texture issue with D3D11 is very annoying though, I always get a report about that. I don't know if the upcoming series will behave the same (or it needs different driver internals and we have a chance).

As far as support which one has provided better support as far as fixing bugs in their drivers or feature levels?

I don't know. I only submitted reports to AMD, but honestly and not surprisingly, I feel that's equivalent to submitting reports into /dev/null. 😁