VOGONS

FEAR crash

Topic actions

First post, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FEAR 1.08 integrated benchmark crashes after the first combat scene @2560x1440.
The game itself suggests that the possible issue is the VRAM (->4096 MB) for that resolution

https://postimg.cc/56rnGdC4

Reply 1 of 21, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Works fine here with the default (256 MB) VRAM setting. Try copying dgVoodoo.conf from the dgVoodoo archive to the game directory to make sure you're using stock settings.

Clipboard01.jpg
Filename
Clipboard01.jpg
File size
171.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 21, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2021-03-28, 17:34:

Works fine here with the default (256 MB) VRAM setting. Try copying dgVoodoo.conf from the dgVoodoo archive to the game directory to make sure you're using stock settings.Clipboard01.jpg

Resolution? Got the problem at the specific resolution of 2560x1440.

Reply 4 of 21, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Works fine here with the default (256 MB) VRAM setting. Try copying dgVoodoo.conf from the dgVoodoo archive to the game directory to make sure you're using stock settings.Clipboard01.jpg

Nope

FEAR-2021-03-30-16-53-41-905.jpg

There's an error in RAM quantity detection, just like in Outbreak.
The same using DXVK 1.8.1

Game freshly installed and manually patched to 1.08.
No issues with MS d3d9.dll

Reply 5 of 21, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote on 2021-03-28, 00:43:

FEAR 1.08 integrated benchmark crashes after the first combat scene @2560x1440.
The game itself suggests that the possible issue is the VRAM (->4096 MB) for that resolution

https://postimg.cc/56rnGdC4

I confim the crash with the lastest WIP
No crash with DXVK or MS d3d9.dll

Reply 7 of 21, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote on 2021-03-30, 14:57:
Nope […]
Show full quote

Nope

FEAR-2021-03-30-16-53-41-905.jpg

There's an error in RAM quantity detection, just like in Outbreak.

I know, I already reported that, but what I meant was, the benchmark does not crash under dgVoodoo. There's something else that's causing it to crash.

lowenz wrote on 2021-03-30, 15:16:
With D3D11 the situation is even worse! (Radeon VGA) […]
Show full quote

With D3D11 the situation is even worse! (Radeon VGA)

FEAR-2021-03-30-17-15-27-888.jpg

Known issue with AMD drivers, covered in dgVoodoo's documentation.

Direct3D12 isn't the stock configuration though, and I told you to try that. Copy the stock dgVoodoo.conf to F.E.A.R's directory, ignore the texture errors, run the benchmark and see if it still crashes.

Reply 10 of 21, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2021-03-30, 17:28:

Potentially another AMD driver bug, but try with the stock config as already mentioned.

But why?

They're plain txt file with the options.

Comparing the 2 files I see the obvious different values and nothing more.
The "default" file is no magic 😐

Reply 12 of 21, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2021-03-31, 01:54:

Copying the stock dgVoodoo.conf to the game folder eliminates a lot of variables. It will also only take a minute, so I don't see why you need to be so difficult about it.

Because it's the same that dgVoodoo2 creates and because I've compared the 2 txt files and the only differences are my chosen values? The problem is still there with 256 MB of RAM.
Crash after the combat scene in the benchmark session. No crash with DXVK or MS D3D9.

Reply 13 of 21, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote on 2021-03-31, 08:10:
ZellSF wrote on 2021-03-31, 01:54:

Copying the stock dgVoodoo.conf to the game folder eliminates a lot of variables. It will also only take a minute, so I don't see why you need to be so difficult about it.

Because it's the same that dgVoodoo2 creates and because I've compared the 2 txt files and the only differences are my chosen values?

1) Your chosen values which you haven't said what are, you for example left out that you were running D3D12 initially which could be very important. You say values so I assume there are more discrepancies.

2) Your method of making sure the settings are the same is subject to a lot of human error. Copying the config file is much less so.

3) It takes less time to do it than the time you've spent trying to justify not doing it, and the time you've made me waste repeatedly telling you to do it.

I mean if your ISP tells you to restart your router when you know it's not the problem, do you also put up a pointless fight about it? The only reason they would have put up with that btw, is that you're paying them.

Reply 14 of 21, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Man, there's the RTSS overlay in the screenshot. You obviously can see "D3D12". The "other" values are the VRAM quantity and the Fast Video Memory Access. Of course I've tested with them @default: same crash
2) I'm just using the dgv2 control panel to set the values, there's no "human error" possible
3) "and the time you've made me waste repeatedly telling you to do it" -> 🤣

Reply 15 of 21, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote on 2021-03-31, 12:39:

2) I'm just using the dgv2 control panel to set the values, there's no "human error" possible

You could have easily:
1) Edited the wrong config file by accident (I've done this a lot).
2) Missed a value you didn't know you edited (I've done this a lot).
There's always a potential for human error, I'm asking you to do one simple thing to rule it out.

Also rolling on the floor laughing at anyone ever saying that there's no human error possible.

lowenz wrote on 2021-03-31, 12:39:

1) Man, there's the RTSS overlay in the screenshot. You obviously can see "D3D12". The "other" values are the VRAM quantity and the Fast Video Memory Access. Of course I've tested with them @default: same crash

In your initial post, you didn't have the RTSS overlay on. See how fallible humans are?

Reply 16 of 21, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have FEAR version 1.8.282.0 and I can't reproduce the crash either. Resolution is set to 2560x1440.
I tested the game through the D3D11/12 SDK debug layer which reported a bug but that only affected forced MSAA case, and I fixed it in WIP79_1.
Tested on both nVidia and Intel UHD.
Also, I found a D3D12 pipeline cache bug but that's D3D12 only, I don't believe those bugs have to do sg to the crash.

So, plz try it again with WIP79_1, and if it still crashes (probably will) then I have no idea (and AMD card).
Also, you can check out the game with the dgV debug layer to see if the crash is caused by a failed resource allocation or sg like that.

Reply 19 of 21, by funkerwolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can also use beta version of f.e.a.r. for found more bugs..this version contains alternative performance test
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AKvtpxw … t&action=locate
XYC5-GAB2-CAF9-TUD7-5686