VOGONS

First post, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As a follow-up to all the various "broken shadows in Advent Rising" threads, recently a fairly-popular YouTuber put a spotlight on the game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUk3_3eBD_M), also noting the broken shadows and how they, supposedly, only work properly on a specific ATi GPU. What I haven't found in any of the threads is something mentioned in the video: both the Steam and, as of this month, GOG releases use the Advent Revising patch (http://www.miketyndall.com/setz/Advent%20Revising/), which fixes bugs, adds widescreen support and a FoV slider, and does a lot of fixes to the videos.

As I happen to own a copy of the Steam version of Advent Rising, I can attest that no fiddling with dgVoodoo2 2.74's GPU type or other settings enables full shadows - even with the setting enabled via the game's launcher. Also, looking at the latest "Essentials" pack for Advent Revising, which contains the same system fixes as the more complete versions of the patch, these are the files which get modified:

Advent Revising_systemchanges.jpg
Filename
Advent Revising_systemchanges.jpg
File size
13.11 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As such, might it be possible to take a closer look at precisely what's going wrong with Advent Rising? Would be cool to get dynamic shadows back like dgVoodoo2 currently re-enables OG Splinter Cell's shadows.

Reply 1 of 3, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was a thread about broken shadows:

Advent Rising - Missing shadows

I did a fix for that but we came to the conclusion that it's only partial and shouldn't work like that.
I still have no clue how shadows in the original pc version of the game is supposed to appear.

Reply 3 of 3, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used DgVoodoo 2 and selected the ATI graphics card and also used the D3DDrv.dll fix. I then turned Stencils on and T & L Hardware Lighting off in the default.ini file and the main characters shadows appeared all the time including some of the NPC characters. Unfortunately doing this disabled some of the background objects such as the skybox. (See Pictures)

Attachments

• Advent Rising shadows on 1.jpg
    Filename
    Advent Rising shadows on 1.jpg
    File size
    204.5 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Shadows visible
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Advent Rising no skybox 1.jpg