VOGONS

First post, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AMD has finally posted their FSR upscaler on github:

https://github.com/GPUOpen-Effects/FidelityFX-FSR

It's a lanczos-based upscaler with edge-guided interpolation. Is it feasible to add it as an upscaler in dgVoodoo? The assumption of course is that it would offer higher quality upscaling than the current lanczos and bicubic upscalers. But it might not. The edge-enhancement techniques might actually produce worse quality when upscaling from a very low resolution (like from 720p to 1440p or to 4K.) I don't know. But it sounds like it's worth exploring?

Reply 1 of 2, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I gather FSR works best on already anti-aliased edges. For low end systems it would probably be better to add cheap anti-aliasing first (FXAA, SMAA) so they don't have to drop to a lower resolution in the first place.

FSR might be a great idea, just saying IMO it should be lower on the priority list.

Reply 2 of 2, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it sounds interesting. It'd be nice to have it implemented in an "add-on" dll instead of core dgVoodoo though. Along with other upscaler (and antialiasing) algorhytms.
But, as you both say, I don't know how useful it'd be in respect of dgVoodoo because for 3D-rendered games already there is a remedy: force higher resolution and upscaling is not needed.

I know it doesn't always a viable way, but upscaling is mostly a problem for very old 2D games.
I wish I had more time.