VOGONS

First post, by pepodmc3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

Im playing mortal kombat trilogy using dgvodoo and i really like the combination between "bilinear" and "stretched_4_3_crt" options, but i prefer a 16:9 aspect ratio even is it looks stretched.

Can you make a "stretched_4_3_crt" but 16:9? would be a "stretched_16_9_crt"

Thanks for the program!!

Reply 2 of 12, by pepodmc3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FulValBot wrote on 2021-08-17, 22:11:

There are too many aspect ratio, not just 16:9

But with the crt filter added?

Perhaps there is already way to use a 16:9 or stretched aspect ratio with the crt filter that i dont know

Reply 3 of 12, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want that filter too, but this will cause graphics distorsions...

to fix these we need an integer CRT filter (i mean centered CRT filter with keed aspect ratio), that works with all aspect ratio

Reply 4 of 12, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is the CRT filter is so popular? I kinda inteded that to be a 'toy' to mimic the feeling of a 4:3 CRT monitor.

I could add the CRT-counterpart of 'Stretch, keep AR' so the aspect ratio would come from the application resolution.
I'm not sure if the centered version is "useful" because a CRT-ed image is not about keeping the quality anyway.

Reply 5 of 12, by pepodmc3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2021-08-18, 20:21:

Is the CRT filter is so popular? I kinda inteded that to be a 'toy' to mimic the feeling of a 4:3 CRT monitor.

I could add the CRT-counterpart of 'Stretch, keep AR' so the aspect ratio would come from the application resolution.
I'm not sure if the centered version is "useful" because a CRT-ed image is not about keeping the quality anyway.

For some specific games the crt filter is necessary.

I really dont like CRT filters in general but, for example, mortal kombat trilogy (digitized sprites) doesnt look really good with any scaler. Thing that its strange because umk3 sega genesis using filters looks good, but mk trilogy with scalers looks bad in my oppinion.
But the crt filter used in "stretched_4_3_crt" make mk trilogy to look very good. I would only need a 16:9 version of that crt filter.

"I could add the CRT-counterpart of 'Stretch, keep AR' so the aspect ratio would come from the application resolution."

Do you mean the aplicattion original resolution, or the resolution we choose in the "dgVoodoo.conf" ?

Reply 6 of 12, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pepodmc3 wrote on 2021-08-19, 02:43:

"I could add the CRT-counterpart of 'Stretch, keep AR' so the aspect ratio would come from the application resolution."

Do you mean the aplicattion original resolution, or the resolution we choose in the "dgVoodoo.conf" ?

Sorry, yes, of course the forced resolution you manually choose. So, the scaler'd work the same way as 'Stretched, keep AR' but the appearance'd be CRT'ed.

Reply 7 of 12, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2021-08-18, 20:21:

The real problem start when i try to use an integer resolution, expecially with integer scaling mode... (but with modern game that mode is not recommended, i will try integer rendering mode)

the CRT filter is intended for many old games that was done when there were only CRT monitors

Reply 8 of 12, by pepodmc3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2021-08-19, 14:04:
pepodmc3 wrote on 2021-08-19, 02:43:

Sorry, yes, of course the forced resolution you manually choose. So, the scaler'd work the same way as 'Stretched, keep AR' but the appearance'd be CRT'ed.

that would be great

Reply 10 of 12, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FulValBot wrote on 2021-08-19, 16:03:

The real problem start when i try to use an integer resolution, expecially with integer scaling mode... (but with modern game that mode is not recommended, i will try integer rendering mode)

But what's the problem with that? Integer scaling can be combined with CRT'ed output.
If you talk about that pixel multiplied image is stretched to fit in the whole screen - well, the CRT filter itself already do some blurring on the image so I don't think that that additional stretching make things too worse.

Reply 11 of 12, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2021-08-21, 22:13:
FulValBot wrote on 2021-08-19, 16:03:

But what's the problem with that? Integer scaling can be combined with CRT'ed output.
If you talk about that pixel multiplied image is stretched to fit in the whole screen - well, the CRT filter itself already do some blurring on the image so I don't think that that additional stretching make things too worse.

How can i combine that?

(I don't have a CRT display...)

Reply 12 of 12, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm testing a 1440p display, and i see that 1920x1440 is good, integer from 640x480 and without distorsions with both centered and stretch mode, this also with CRT scanlines enabled; this of course can't happen with 1080p display because 640x480 when is upscaled to 1280x960 in centered mode is good, in stretch mode is bad

I don't know if is a good idea that filter for a non-4:3 resolution...