VOGONS

First post, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a weird problem, I play Hidden Evil fine in Windows7 and 10 but Windows 11 will crash after select Glide and click OK.

How to reproduce (using retail version)
1.Install game with CD-ROM, don't install QuickTime.[*]
2.Find a no-cd exe on internet to replace HiddenEvil.exe
3.Extract QuickTime.qts from QuickTime.zip to Game folder\bin.
4.Copy Glide2x.dll, dgVoodooCpl.exe, dgVoodoo.conf, d3dcompiler_47.dll to bin folder.
5.Right click HiddenEvil.exe and set compatibility mode to Windows98/Me.
6.Start HiddenEvil.exe, select Glide/3DFX and click OK.
In Windows 7 and 10, the game should run fine. But in Windows 11 it will crash.
In debugview there is a warning claiming it requires d3dcompiler_47.dll or d3dcompiler_43.dll but none exists.

Software mode works for Windows 11 so the game is still playable. But I can't understand why it can't find my dll.

*: The game doesn't need a full Quicktime install, just needs the attached QuickTime.qts in zip. VirusTotal:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/12f8522cd … 8974f86/details

Attachments

• Filename
    QuickTime.zip
    File size
    1.73 MiB
    Downloads
    80 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by yochenhsieh on 2022-01-26, 14:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which version of dgVoodoo are you using? Starting from v2.73, dgVoodoo does not need d3dcompiler at all.

But anyway, d3dcompiler_47.dll is part of Win11, so dgVoodoo should find it by default, without copying it to the game folder.
Didn't you accidentally copy the x64 version of d3dcompiler_47.dll instead of x86, or sg similar?

I cannot check it out, I only have arm64 of Win11.
(But the emulation should work, btw...)

Update: I forgot that it shouldn't crash if d3dcompiler is not found. It works without that but with worse performance.

Reply 2 of 6, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was using 2.78 for this.

That dll was copied from other games folder, which I think was downloaded from your site long time ago...
This laptop has intel HD 520, could that be a problem? I remember intel graphics are notorious for some old games...

Reply 3 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, non-debug build of dgVoodoo doesn't even try to load d3dcompiler dlls because does not need it, but I forgot to remove the debug layer status report message from Glide... embarrassing.
Simply ignore that message.

Software mode: you mean the WARP renderer or the own sw renderer of the game? What if you choose various API output? WARP, D3D11/12.
I have Intel HD 530 and it's not bad for old games, so I suppose the same applies to HD 520 too. But, I don't know if there is driver quality problems for Win11.
It'd be cool to know what module it crashes in.

Reply 4 of 6, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right. It still crashed if I remove that dll from game folder, dll is not the problem.

The game at starup will let you select which driver to use (software/glide/direct3d)

sthiddenevil.JPG
Filename
sthiddenevil.JPG
File size
21.66 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So... there are a lot of combinations 🤣

Windows 11 - intel HD 520:
Software, no dgvoodoo - works
Direct3D, no dgvoodoo - works. A big surprise because I never get native d3d of this game to work since XP... In Windows 10 (AMD Radeon HD8250), only 2D part will render but no 3D so you won't see any characters and moving objects.
Glide - dgvoodoo2.78 - Warp - works.
Glide - dgvoodoo2.78 - D3D11/12 - crash after select glide and click OK.
Direct3D - dgvoodoo2.78 - Warp - works.
Direct3D - dgvoodoo2.78 -D3D11/12 - the display option window won't show.

This game has a demo but I am not sure if you can reproduce same result.
https://gaming.trekcore.com/hiddenevil/downloads.html

Attachments

• Filename
    logs.zip
    File size
    38.76 KiB
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's really weird, TBH I don't have an idea what can crash in dgVoodoo after Glide is successfully initialized. Even with failed init it shouldn't crash.
And it works through WARP... Do you have the same version of glide, ddraw and d3d dlls in the game folder? I guess you have, but just to make sure.

Reply 6 of 6, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only use either glide or ddraw dll independently, so they won't be together at the same time.
When I want to use glide, ddraw.dll should not be required. vise versa. (or am I mistaken here?)

Anyway, place all of them in the folder does not change results. Very curious indeed. 😉