VOGONS

First post, by nickp85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Using the latest version of Voodoo, just downloaded it. Trying to use it with Starfleet Academy using the steps from another forum page.
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy - CD to DVD-Movie-Upgrade pack & Compatibility patch for Chekov´s Lost Missions released

There are graphical issues that appear all over the screen, most noticeably the starfield while flying around. I took a screenshot of the main menu after moving the mouse point around a bit. Lots of little graphical glitches all over.

I've tried all sorts of different settings and while the game looks great at the larger resolution and cleaner textures, the starfield issues are quite annoying. Hoping something could be fixed in the wrapper.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I don't have such problem. Perhaps you could try my guide here:
Optional: Since the other guide is very complicated, you might want to backup your current installation.
I suggest uninstall Starfleet Academy and delete the folder completely.

I will use 5CD+Chekov's Lost Mission for example.
1. Install Starfleet Academy. Better not to install to Program Files, try D:\games or something like that.
(Install from setup\setup.exe in your first disc)

2.Install Chekov's Lost Mission.
(Install from setup\setup.exe in your disc)

3.Copy movies and sounds folder from each disc to your Starfleet Academy folder.
(Copy according to disc order, overwrite when you're asked)

4.Open your sfa.cfg with notepad or your preferred text editor:

moviePath=.
voicePath=.

The dot "." means current directory, so sfa will look for movie and sounds in the game folder, not disc.

5.Download "Version 1.28 (10.11.2021) - Stable." from http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/ka/
Extract ddraw.dll to your Starfleet Academy folder.

Right now you should be able to play Starfleet Academy (run sfad3d.exe) .

Out of curious I tried dgvoodoo2:
- Copy ddraw.dll, d3dimm.dll, dgvoodoo.conf to Starfleet Academy folder. Run sfad3d.exe.
There is no problem if you don't change screen resolution (keep it unforced, or use 640x480).
The glitch only appears if you select a different resolution. Perhaps Dege can figure it out.

Reply 3 of 5, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately this is a typical glitching phenomenon resulting from the forced resolution (the same as in The Longest Journey). Not much to fix in the wrapper, maybe it could be cured by the game side modifications. 😐

What about forced resolutions with integer scaling factor? Like 2x, 3x than the in-game resolution.

Reply 4 of 5, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually this game has no in-game resolution setting, it was default to 640x480 and can't be changed.
I tried 2x, still has that glitch. Thanks any way, I understand not everything can be fixed.

Reply 5 of 5, by -KRRU-Dominus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried all driver settings, dgVoodoo settings and compatibility settings I could think of. The starfield issue does not go away.

It doesn´t bother me as much as others it seems. Played the game through twice in native 4K, it´s an inconvenience, but I didn´t notice it much after 3-4 missions (playing in fullscreen with minimal HUD).