VOGONS

First post, by dccs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, whenever I open Bandicam and go to any game to record with the recent versions of dgVoodoo, the games just crash right after it hooks (I suppose?). But this doesn't happen with previous versions, like 2.75.1, Bandicam hooks into the dgVoodoo's DLLs just fine. But I don't wanna use older versions of dgVoodoo, as the newer versions fixed some issues with a few old games (like True Crime: Streets of LA, that now works with it) that I'm interested in recording. I've tried every possible combination of settings, and nothing works, it's a problem with the DLLs' code itself. This deserves an update for sure.

Reply 1 of 4, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed, I tried the latest version of Bandicam in Gameplay record mode and it crashes with dgVoodoo. However, tracking down the reason of the crash shows that Bandicam hooks even d3d8.dll (not just d3d11/12), even before dgVoodoo is activated at all, and does it badly. I found a trampoline into the bandicam dll in the middle of a dgVoodoo function (see the attachment).

The first version of dgVoodoo that's not working is 2.78.2, the one that's compiled with the upgraded compiler toolset. I don't know why it matters, or how Bandicam does its hooking (maybe the PE exe header changed a little bit with the new compiler), but it definitely does not seem to be a issue on dgVoodoo part. 😐

Attachments

• bdcamhook.png
    Filename
    bdcamhook.png
    File size
    96.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 4, by dccs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually this only happens with the D3D8/DDraw/DDImm files. Using the Glide and D3D9 (either x64 or x86) files in games that use those APIs, it runs just fine without any crashes, even with the latest version of dgVoodoo. I don't know why that happens specifically with those.

Last edited by dccs on 2022-09-10, 09:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by dccs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Squall Leonhart wrote on 2022-09-10, 04:35:

bandicam is inferior software, use obs.

I've been recording games for 10 years now, and always use either Bandicam or Action with the hardware-accelerated NVENC H.264 encoder, since my GPU doesn't support the HEVC one. And I get no lag at all in almost all games that I play. With OBS, it's a different story, I always run it as admin, and no matter how much I try to optimize the encoder's settings, I always get some lag, already tried every possible preset (Max Quality, Quality, Performance and Max Performance) and no luck in that, and it doesn't matter if the game is GPU heavy or not.

So, OBS is definitely a no-no for me, and trust me, I've already done lots and lots of streams and recordings using OBS before. You can check my current channel, already recorded more than 100 games using Bandicam with no lag at all, it's there for everyone to witness. And no, Bandicam isn't an inferior software, maybe it doesn't have all the customization of OBS, but it can actually detect a lot more games than OBS can (maybe you didn't know that), I'm not sure you've used it enough to have an opinion about it, ignorance is indeed a bliss most times.