VOGONS

First post, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been trying to get the Six Degrees of Freedom Game Forsaken up and running on modern hardware with dgvoodoo, and for the most part it seems to work, but every other time I try to load into a level, the whole game crashes. Anyone have any suggestions? Is it in my config? Does it actually have nothing to do with dgVoodoo? I'm completely lost here.

UPDATE
(this topic may no longer be relevant to this forum category, so mods feel free to move this somewhere more relevant)

So apparently it was just something stupid in my dgvoodoo settings, because I had "fake" listed in my fullscreen attributes, which turned out to be causing the issue.

So now the scenario is this: I switched over to DxWnd's CDAudio Proxy for music playback, and because of how Forsaken seems to work, I'm put in a weird position. Launching the game through the main launcher (Forsaken.exe) lets the splash screen and intro movie play, but then the music doesn't seem to work! However, if I launch the game directly (ForsakenHW.exe) then the music works fine, but the splash/intro doesn't play.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to go about this?

Last edited by OpenRift on 2022-09-30, 01:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OpenRift wrote on 2022-09-26, 21:11:

Been trying to get the Six Degrees of Freedom Game Forsaken up and running on modern hardware with dgvoodoo, and for the most part it seems to work, but every other time I try to load into a level, the whole game crashes. Anyone have any suggestions? Is it in my config? Does it actually have nothing to do with dgVoodoo? I'm completely lost here.

Just buy the remastered game and play it. There is absolutely no reason to play the original release, as the remastered version has everything from the alternate ports of the game and is fully functional on modern hardware, with advanced graphics features.

Reply 2 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-09-26, 21:16:

There is absolutely no reason to play the original release

that's like "there's absolutely no reason to watch the original b&w films when there's colorized versions"

When it comes to context with wrappers/emulators, brushing away issues because there's some new port or whatever out there doesn't help - especially if there's rereleases with cruft, and/or built on inaccuracies of source ports and/or/with lack of original technical context. Take Nightdive's Quake for example with the terrible lighting balance/broken sprites/lack of gamma.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The last time I played that game, I remember to have required the latest patch as well as DxWnd.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 4 of 6, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-09-29, 07:43:

The last time I played that game, I remember to have required the latest patch as well as DxWnd.

Hm... What did you have to use DxWnd for? CD Audio? Direct3D? I used dgvoodoo for Glide/D3d and then a no-cd patch + ogg-winmm for the CD music.

Last edited by OpenRift on 2022-09-29, 21:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-09-29, 04:10:
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-09-26, 21:16:

There is absolutely no reason to play the original release

that's like "there's absolutely no reason to watch the original b&w films when there's colorized versions"

When it comes to context with wrappers/emulators, brushing away issues because there's some new port or whatever out there doesn't help - especially if there's rereleases with cruft, and/or built on inaccuracies of source ports and/or/with lack of original technical context. Take Nightdive's Quake for example with the terrible lighting balance/broken sprites/lack of gamma.

It's such a funny thing because Nightdive has this weird duality of making essentially a perfectly accurate port like Doom 64, but then have something like the Quake remaster where it has some very weird design decisions and inaccuracies made during development.

Reply 6 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OpenRift wrote on 2022-09-29, 20:18:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-09-29, 07:43:

Hm... What did you have to use DxWnd for? CD Audio? Direct3D? I used dgvoodoo for Glide/D3d and then a no-cd patch + ogg-winmm for the CD music.

I used it for CD audio and Direct3D. I needed the Handle Exception option on Windows 7 because something was wrong in the start of the game. I could use dgVoodoo2 to test the "8-bit palettized textures" in HW mode, but SW mode directly crashed when dgVoodoo2 was present.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058