VOGONS

First post, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does dgVoodoo2 support Windows Vista, specifically 64-bit?

I can't find any clear documentation on why Vista wouldn't be supported, but 7 is. What's the difference between the two that would prevent dgVoodoo2 working?

I'm trying to get Direct3D 8 games such as Splinter Cell working on Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit. However, when I choose the necessary configuration as recommended by pcgamingwiki, the game crashes immediately before starting. The crash error report is empty so I can't diagnose this further, so I don't know where the issue is.

Can anyone give a clear reason why dgVoodoo2 wouldn't work on Vista?

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Reply 2 of 5, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
janskjaer wrote on 2022-12-17, 09:58:
Does dgVoodoo2 support Windows Vista, specifically 64-bit? […]
Show full quote

Does dgVoodoo2 support Windows Vista, specifically 64-bit?

I can't find any clear documentation on why Vista wouldn't be supported, but 7 is. What's the difference between the two that would prevent dgVoodoo2 working?

I'm trying to get Direct3D 8 games such as Splinter Cell working on Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit. However, when I choose the necessary configuration as recommended by pcgamingwiki, the game crashes immediately before starting. The crash error report is empty so I can't diagnose this further, so I don't know where the issue is.

Can anyone give a clear reason why dgVoodoo2 wouldn't work on Vista?

dgvoodoo 2 works with windows vista. I have tried with my laptop.

Reply 3 of 5, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

dgVoodoo should work on Windows Vista because it does not exploit any OS feature that is not available with Vista for D3D11.
I just don't mention Vista in the readme because I myself never tested it on Vista, so, just to make sure.

Reply 4 of 5, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2022-12-17, 14:29:

How do you know it's dgVoodoo, and not the game itself that's not working in Vista?

Because I was able to run the game (albeit without the D3D8 features enabled) on Vista without dgVoodoo2.

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Reply 5 of 5, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe entirely unrelated, and I'm not sure which of the SC games included it was now, but back in the day I bought a "splinter cell trilogy" bundle, and one of the games refused to run on my then top-of-the-line XP64 system; I think it was something related to the DRM that differed between the three included games, that was not updated for one of them to work in a 64bit environment.

(My XP64 PC did not have any voodoo hw/sw installed, so it may be unrelated to your issue, since you wrote you had your game working without the dgVoodoo2. I cannot retest on my Vista, since it is 32bit)