VOGONS

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

F1 Racing Simulation by Ubisoft has an issue with dgVoodoo2 where the game, on exit, starts flashing the screen. It looks like it keeps changing or enumerating different resolutions and it is stuck in a loop. The case is so bad you can't even use the Task Manager to exit the game. The native DirectDraw works better for the game. It also bypasses the exit loop issue; it instead minimises the game window.

DxWnd fixes both of these problems, BUT the user that needs dgVoodoo2 uses a D3D9On12 driver where DDraw support is quite dead. This is their main problem with the game. It is possible to pair both DxWnd and dgVoodoo2, but the game "visually" freezes at a race loading screen, so it might well be an issue from a conflict between two wrappers and might be difficult to fix.

Hopefully you can fix this big problematic issue for the game. Other than that, they complained that the game speeds up and slows down at certain moments, for now I am going to assume it's just a broken frame limiter on D3D9On12 and the dgVoodoo2 frame rate setting should do fine, I shall update on this particular issue later.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 2, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TBH, I don't get it. I installed the game, set compatibility modes like

- 16 bit reduced color mode to suppress the initial complaint about that
- XP compat mode to let it find the CD

and it ran. I also installed the latest patch for the game (recommendation on PCGamingWiki) for D3D but I'm not sure if it was necessary.
Even the 3Dfx version runs but that seems to be very unstable.

Reply 2 of 2, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2023-02-19, 09:40:

and it ran. I also installed the latest patch for the game (recommendation on PCGamingWiki) for D3D but I'm not sure if it was necessary.

The problem comes in exit. With dgVoodoo2, on exit, the game keeps flashing the screen, to such an extent you can't Ctrl-Alt-Del to get access to Task Manager.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058