VOGONS

First post, by dccs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So this issue is caused mainly in the LithTech 2.0, 2.2 and Talon versions of the engine, maybe even earlier versions, but haven't tested such games. NOLF 1, Sanity: Aiken's Artifact, Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza, Legends of Might and Magic, Aliens versus Predator 2 all suffer from this problem, and turning dynamic lighting off is not an option at all, it's an integral part of the engine's look. Will this ever be fixed? It's been an issue for a very long time.

Last edited by dccs on 2023-02-17, 00:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think this is a problem when you run this engine on a 64bit OS. For example, using Blood 2, With my 780ti on 32bit XP the problem you describe doesn't exist. However when I run that same config on Windows 10 64bit I do get the problem you mention. Also on my Windows 11 machine I see the problem with my RTX 4090. All my other machines regardless of video cards are on 32bit OS' and also do not have the problem.

Can you run them on a 32bit OS?

Reply 2 of 7, by dccs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I unfortunately don't have any 32-bit OS installed in any computer, and can't dual boot it either. But I'm sure this problem happens in any version of Windows above 7, regardless if it's 32-bit or 64-bit, if you can test Aliens versus Predator 2 as well with dgVoodoo on your 32bit OS (but can't be XP, as I don't use it 😀 ), let me know the results. It will most likely lag when you are close to the flashlight in the starting sequence playing as a Marine, as it's dynamic.

Reply 7 of 7, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I remember this was a problem with dgVoodoo. So, is it still in general? Or are there specific locations in these games where it appears "magnified"?
Years ago I put optimizations for it into the D3D11 backend (that was the only one back then) so it should have been sorted out at some degree. But according to my experiences and reports from others D3D12 works way better.