VOGONS

First post, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is the old, non-steam release.

On windows 10, running the game's exe does basically nothing. To fix that it needs to be run with compatibility set to at most windows XP as administrator.

That's not the issue with dgvoodoo though. The issue is at launch it shows a black screen and the mouse cursor, but CTDs after a few seconds. I tried different dgvoodoo2 settings, including forcing 16-bit color, but no change.

There is a wrapper specifically made for this game, but it's not as flexible. I was wondering if it could be made to work with dgvoodoo.

Its dev goes into detail about the cause of the issue here: http://www.jiri-dvorak.cz/dangw/index.html

The following is a debug with full tracing log from Debugview++:

Filename
SubCommand.zip
File size
16.96 KiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File license
CC-BY-4.0

EDIT:

Used the method mentioned by ZellSF. Renamed dgvoodoo's d3d8.dll to dgd8.dll and copied it to SysWOW64, and hex edited the latest 0.03 d3d8.dll file by dangw and copied it into the game's directory.

This is the log with the fix and dgvoodoo2 together:

Filename
SubCommand2.zip
File size
1.07 MiB
Downloads
40 downloads
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by eddman on 2023-09-19, 13:19. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: dgVoodoo and Dangerous Waters
Last I tried Dangerous Waters worked in dgVoodoo2 with that patch, assuming Sub Command uses the same engine (since you linked to a patch for Dangerous Waters, that seems likely) then that topic can probably give you a few hints.

Reply 2 of 3, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2023-09-19, 11:02:

Last I tried Dangerous Waters worked in dgVoodoo2 with that patch, assuming Sub Command uses the same engine (since you linked to a patch for Dangerous Waters, that seems likely) then that topic can probably give you a few hints.

Thanks. Your fix works with this game too, although I'd rather not copy extra files into system folders. The new log might help Dege.

Reply 3 of 3, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eddman wrote on 2023-09-19, 13:17:
ZellSF wrote on 2023-09-19, 11:02:

Thanks. Your fix works with this game too, although I'd rather not copy extra files into system folders. The new log might help Dege.

I already talked to Dege about the fix actually (Re: Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron Forever Free). He is aware of the problem but the fix will be odd by dgVoodoo2 standards so he didn't bother with it.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058