VOGONS

First post, by breadbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed this game from 2005 with the Heroic Games Launcher and I managed to get it running fairly well. It runs perfectly and I can play it no bother but there is a weird graphical glitch and that's the reason I tried dgVoodoo2. The main character is fine but the rest of the models on the screen look dithered or like half transparent but glitchy looking. Same with the building in the centre of the screen. All the other textures are fine, trees and backgrounds and what not. The menu looks perfect too. You wouldn't notice a thing wrong.

dragonshard.png
Filename
dragonshard.png
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

I followed the instructions on installing dgVoodoo2 and copied the D3D9.dll into the Dragonshard folder, I also copied the dgVoodoocpl.exe in there too. I then ran winecfg within HGL and added the d3d9.dll to native and also ran the dgVoodoocpl.exe within HGL where it says "run exe within prefix" and the dll is definitely being used because I can see the dgVoodoo logo in the bottom right. All I get now though is the music and a black screen except for the mouse. The cursor is visible and the menu is there, it's just I can't see it. I tried messing about with different settings in the dgVoodoocpl.exe but nothing makes it better, some make it worse, but nothing improves it at all. I attached a screenshot and you can see the main character on the right who looks perfect but the rest look a bit dodge, maybe someone can spot what it is straight away.

I didn't expect to get it working at all, I am using Linux Mint 20.3 and a GTX980Ti with a Sony Trinitron 420GS CRT but like I said I can play most games with a bit of tweaking. I just finished Pool of Radiance - Ruins of Myth Drannor! I have tried different versions of Wine/Proton with no improvements. Thanks in advance.

Reply 2 of 2, by breadbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I don't have Windows. I'm sure it works fine, I'm also sure it's the fact that I am using wine and linux which is messing things up a bit. I was trying to install it from an ISO I made of the original DVD instead of the GOG download but I can't get past the Safedisk protection. No no-cd for this game that works well with linux unfortunately. Is there any other setting that I am missing? Any other trick to try in Winecfg or dgVoodoo?