VOGONS

First post, by JRRTolkien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have a problem with a mmorpg called metin2, basically the game interface is too small if you use too high a resolution like 4k. I thought about using dgVoodoo to fix this problem, but I can't get it to work with this game. Does anyone know if there is any way to resolve this. Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 12, by Darkstorm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What's exactly the issue? Sacrifice has similar problem with UI scalling. The higher set in-game resolution the smaller UI becomes, but if you set up low resolution within the game, and high resolution within dgvoodoo then it doesn't look bad and has big UI(although there is difference in field of view a little if you compare 1920x1080 achieved through a mod, and any vanilla 4:3 resolution stretched to 1920x1080).

Last edited by Darkstorm on 2023-10-16, 11:58. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 12, by JRRTolkien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, yes I scaled the resolution of the game to 1080p, while on the dgVodoo application I set the resolution to 4k, unfortunately however when starting the game the resolution remains in full HD, and as if the program is not detected.

Reply 3 of 12, by Darkstorm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded metin2. used config.exe and changed resolution to 1280x720. I dropped 4 .dll files from MS/x86 folder from dgvoodoo .zip file into the folder with that config.exe then I configured it to use D3D12 and FHD(because that's my max resolution). dgvoodoo works, but it does not stretch the image to fullscreen(in windowed mode), and it does resolution swap to 720p in fullscreen. If I turn off monitor at this point and turn it back on it does switch resolution to 1080p, but if I alt-tab then when I get back into the game, I get yet another resolution swap in fullscreen mode.

Reply 7 of 12, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't test it game myself, but isn't the game itself changes the desktop resolution before igniting DX rendering?
If yes, then it's unfortunately a problem because dgVoodoo takes the current desktop resolution for its resolution calculations.
So, if, say, the game sets the desktop resolution to 1280x720 because that's the in-game resolution then dgVoodoo thinks the desktop is 1280x720 and that's the base for calculating "Max" and other dynamic resolutions (so, the max resolution will be 1280x720 as well).
You can override the current desktop resolution for such cases with GeneralExt\DesktopResolution. Try setting it to your native desktop resolution.
The other option is to force DirectX\Resolution directly to your expected resolution (3840x2160 in your case) instead of some dynamic resolution (max, ...).

Reply 8 of 12, by Darkstorm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2023-10-16, 20:07:

The other option is to force DirectX\Resolution directly to your expected resolution (3840x2160 in your case) instead of some dynamic resolution (max, ...).

It's what I did. It felt like it totally ignored that.

Game does have a config application where you can change resolution. Then there is another app you boot up game with. I set up resolution to 720p, while in dgvoodoo config I set up 1080p(I haven't tried Max FHD for example). Game boots up in 720p unfortunately.

I will try the ext tab.

Edit. No luck.

Reply 9 of 12, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It turns out that this game is windowed, fake fullscreen. It sets the resolution "manually" before DX is initialized and then renders into a borderless window.

The problem is that resolution cannot be forced for windowed mode applications. If I experimentally change the requested presentation parameters coming from the game to real fullscreen in the debugger then both of the methods I described works (altough there are glitches on the 2D screen, even with integer (2x) upscale ratio).

I don't know if there is a way to set the game to true fullscreen rendering. I cannot see such an option in config.exe but the code setting the dx windowed/fullscreen presentation parameter does not seem to be hardcoded either.
There is a "WINDOWED": false, element in the Bmt2_config.json file but that only controls if the game is real windowed or fake fullscreen windowed.

Reply 11 of 12, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, I don't. The point is, this game is always windowed, even in "full screen". dgVoodoo cannot force resolution for windowed games.
So, I think the only way would be ask the developers to add a real fullscreen mode option into the game. 😐