VOGONS

First post, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

Recently i have been playing a lot of world of warcraft private server stormforge tbc client 2.4.3.¨

All i really wonder is does dgvoodoo2 modify the game executable ,permanently modify any game code, hook any Windows API functions or keep running in the background during gameplay?

I really really want to use it because burning crusade looks so much better but im afraid it might trigger Warden anticheat.

Tried googling this but no luck as of yet, a lot of info on special k and reshade out there but nothing on Dgvoodoo2.

Best regards!

Reply 1 of 4, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi!

dgVoodoo does not modify the executable, nor it is running permanently as a separate process and does not hook anything system-wide.
It's just some dll's that get loaded instead of the system dll counterparts when you run the game.
It can also hook some system API's when GDI-hooking or cursor-hooking is enabled but all of that is done only inside the game process (not affecting any other processes) while the game is running.

Warden claims that

While the game is running, Warden uses API function calls to collect data on open programs on the user's computer and sends it back to Blizzard servers as hash values to be compared to those of known cheating programs.

If it is really all it's doing then it shouldn't detect dgVoodoo since it's not a separate running program.

But if it also scans dll's loaded for the game, and checks them out in some way if they are original OS dll's then dgVoodoo can be a problem.

But, dgVoodoo shouldn't be a different cup of tea than ReShade or SpecialK in this regard. If they are not banned then neither should dgVoodoo.

Last edited by Dege on 2023-10-25, 19:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2023-10-25, 18:32:
Hi! […]
Show full quote

Hi!

dgVoodoo does not modify the executable, nor it is running permanently as a separate process and does not hook anything system-wide.
It's just some dll's that get loaded instead of the system dll counterparts when you run the game.
It can also hook some system API's when GDI-hooking or cursor-hooking is enabled but all of that is done only inside the game process (not affecting any other processes) while the game is running.

Warden claims that

While the game is running, Warden uses API function calls to collect data on open programs on the user's computer and sends it back to Blizzard servers as hash values to be compared to those of known cheating programs.

If it is really all it's doing then it shouldn't detect dgVoodoo since it's not a separate running program.

But if it also scans dll's loaded for the game, and checks them out in some way if they are original OS dll's then dgVoodoo can be a problem.

But, dgVoodoo shouldn't be a different cup of tea as ReShade or SpecialK in this regard. If they are not banned then neither should dgVoodoo.

Hey! thanks a lot for answering this so fast, its a bit strange that i cant find a single post when i google this.

I hear a lot about reshade being used and nobody has been banned from using it.

What are the specific differences between reshade and dgvoodoo2 if i may ask? =)

Again thank you for your reply <3

Reply 3 of 4, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unrealdevon wrote on 2023-10-25, 19:36:

What are the specific differences between reshade and dgvoodoo2 if i may ask? =)

In respect of the technique used to override system components, nothing. For example, ReShade puts their own dxgi.dll into the game folder, to hook the real dxgi.dll (a dll needed for DX10+).
And you also just put dgVoodoo dll's manually into the game folder, to override the corresponding system dll's.

Reply 4 of 4, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2023-10-25, 19:43:
Unrealdevon wrote on 2023-10-25, 19:36:

In respect of the technique used to override system components, nothing. For example, ReShade puts their own dxgi.dll into the game folder, to hook the real dxgi.dll (a dll needed for DX10+).
And you also just put dgVoodoo dll's manually into the game folder, to override the corresponding system dll's.

Ok thanks =)

Btw i dont know if this is kinda hard to answer but i will ask anyway.

in world of warcraft the burning crusade client 2.4.3 my mouse cursor is pretty big normally but once i use dgvoodoo2 it becomes very small in comparison, and actually hard to see sometimes.

Its kinda odd because every other aspect of the game including ui and graphics in general are unchanged except for the obvious improvment in image quality.
Doesnt matter if i launch the game without dgvoodoo2,fullscreen or windowed. tried some scaling modes in dgvoodoo2, doesnt seem to matter.

Usually the mouse cursor that is a hand icon in the game changes size depending on the resolution (rest of the game stays the same size) but when using dgvoodoo2 instead the cursor gets smaller and stays that way in both 1920x1080 and 2560x1440.

Actually i need reduce the resolution all the way too 1280x800 to get the same size as i usually have at 2560x1440 in normal dx9 mode.

I was gonna take a screenshot to demonstrate the difference in cursor size but upon reviewing the image i see that the cursor is not present in the shot and it doesnt matter if dgvoodoo2 is present or not, still no mouse icon in the screenshot.

This has something to do with how windows scales ui Scale because when i change dpi scale from down from 200% (that i normally use) and then back too 100% the cursor becomes very small in its original dx9 mode too.

Tried changing the mouse cursor size in windows aswell but it did not change the one in game either. This has to be a dx9 vs dx11 thing ? hmm

Any idea how i maybe might solve this ?