VOGONS

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The game has an weird issue where the game textures become blurred after starting a race. I attached the log:

I also noticed forcing point sampled fixes the blurred texture, but the game no longer is the same. It works correctly in PCem though.
I also had to hook DxWnd windowed mode to it. Natively, with only dgVoodoo2, the game's mouse becomes unresponsive and only the desktop cursor is available which does no clicking in game.

Attachments

• redlineracer.png
    Filename
    redlineracer.png
    File size
    123.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    redlineracer.rar
    File size
    118.29 KiB
    Downloads
    37 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 12, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it is the same as Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing then it's weird. I have that game for a long time and I never had no texture/mouse problems (mouse even works on my forced secondary monitor).
It's true that I created a patch for it back in... sometime, you can try that, I cannot remember what it was all about exactly but something related to very old versions of dgVoodoo.

You can also try other virtual 3d cards than the default one, like the GF's to have paletted texture support disabled (mentioned in my patch).
I did it, and also set the VRAM to 64MB (like in your log) but the game still worked as expected.

You don't have to force texture filtering, texture quality and filtering can be set from the game Options menu.

Suzuki-Alstare-Extreme-Racing-2023-10-27-15-02-24.png

Suzuki-Alstare-Extreme-Racing-2023-10-27-15-02-53.png

Reply 2 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2023-10-27, 13:06:

If it is the same as Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing then it's weird.

It has been branded as Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing too, but

I have that game for a long time and I never had no texture/mouse problems (mouse even works on my forced secondary monitor). It […]
Show full quote

I have that game for a long time and I never had no texture/mouse problems (mouse even works on my forced secondary monitor).
It's true that I created a patch for it back in... sometime, you can try that, I cannot remember what it was all about exactly but something related to very old versions of dgVoodoo.
You can also try other virtual 3d cards than the default one, like the GF's to have paletted texture support disabled (mentioned in my patch).
I did it, and also set the VRAM to 64MB (like in your log) but the game still worked as expected.

First of all, the game doesn't want to go to its 640x480 video mode in any way. DxWnd does it somehow though. Or else the 640x48 compatibility mode is required.

2nd, I went to the site for the patch, but gives instead a Zero Divide game executable... (you linked the wrong game there...)

3rd, I never saw the game complain about needing paletted texture support either. It ran out of the box on Windows, as well as with DxWnd. The 64MB video memory didn't help.

You don't have to force texture filtering, texture quality and filtering can be set from the game Options menu. […]
Show full quote

You don't have to force texture filtering, texture quality and filtering can be set from the game Options menu.

Suzuki-Alstare-Extreme-Racing-2023-10-27-15-02-24.png

Suzuki-Alstare-Extreme-Racing-2023-10-27-15-02-53.png

Unfortunately the game doesn't look like it, nor does the menu. Here's a shot of my graphics menu.

There is no setting for filtering, texture or anything...

Attachments

Reply 3 of 12, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, this game is Suzuki Alstare Racing, not Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing...

I installed it and indeed, it's blurry. But the reason is that the game sets the texture mipmap lodbias to 2.0, globally. And it's hardcoded, I cannot see any condition that'd skip it.
This is the dumbest step, like intentionally worsening the texture quality in your game. I don't know why it works in pcem, maybe it just simply ignores that renderstate?

Anyway, you can easily fix it by searching for the byte pattern in the exe

C7 44 24 08 00 00 00 40

and change it to

C7 44 24 08 00 00 00 00

Then it looks as it should:
readlineracerfixed.png

However the mouse is just working for me, no problems at all.

Reply 4 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2023-10-27, 17:10:
Ok, this game is Suzuki Alstare Racing, not Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing... […]
Show full quote

I installed it and indeed, it's blurry. But the reason is that the game sets the texture mipmap lodbias to 2.0, globally. And it's hardcoded, I cannot see any condition that'd skip it.
This is the dumbest step, like intentionally worsening the texture quality in your game. I don't know why it works in pcem, maybe it just simply ignores that renderstate?

C7 44 24 08 00 00 00 40

and change it to

C7 44 24 08 00 00 00 00

readlineracerfixed.png

Excellent, that worked.

About the mouse issue, the double cursor condition appears to be bypassed when I wanted to take a screenshot of it with Alt+PrintScreen. It appears when using dgVoodoo2, not natively.

(Btw how does dgV2 proceed to make the game go to 640x480 while it fails to do it itself?)

Reply 5 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2023-10-27, 17:10:
Ok, this game is Suzuki Alstare Racing, not Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing... […]
Show full quote

C7 44 24 08 00 00 00 40

and change it to

C7 44 24 08 00 00 00 00

readlineracerfixed.png

I am back, looks like the happiness was a little shortlived...

The README.txt file mentions about the problem too.

Known Issues With Video Cards

DiamondMM Viper 550 (Nvidia TNT)
OEM Drivers v4.12.01.0368
Direct3D: All in-game textures are blurred expect for directly ahead of the motorcycle.
Sky textures have noticeable, seaming lines.

DiamondMM Viper 770 Ultra (Nvidia TNT2 Ultra)
OEM Drivers v4.12.01.0368
Direct3D: All in-game textures are blurred expect for directly ahead of the motorcycle.

ATI Rage Fury MAXX (Rage 128 Pro)
OEM Drivers v.4.11.01.7925
Direct3D: All in-game graphics are blurred.
All sky textures are black.

Nvidia GeForce 256 Reference Board
Reference Drivers v4.12.01.0368
Sky textures have noticeable, seaming lines.

Now, although the HUD blurriness is gone, the distance textures are still blurry (like Nvidia TNT2 Ultra). The Voodoo3 is also not out of fault either, it has the "seaming lines" issue on sky as described.
Have a look at the road:

Attachments

• redlinemodern.png
    Filename
    redlinemodern.png
    File size
    156.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • redlinevoodoo3.png
    Filename
    redlinevoodoo3.png
    File size
    253.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 12, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-10-27, 07:22:

The game has an weird issue where the game textures become blurred after starting a race. I attached the log:

I also noticed forcing point sampled fixes the blurred texture, but the game no longer is the same. It works correctly in PCem though.
I also had to hook DxWnd windowed mode to it. Natively, with only dgVoodoo2, the game's mouse becomes unresponsive and only the desktop cursor is available which does no clicking in game.

glide or directx mode ?

Reply 7 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
willow wrote on 2023-10-28, 20:55:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-10-27, 07:22:

glide or directx mode ?

DirectX

Reply 8 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

for what it's worth Redline Racer's blurry like that on some real vintage 3d hardware too (as if the lod bias were too narrow), so I wouldn't blame this as a dgvoodoo bug either. No idea what Criterion were thinking when they did that (faux depth-of-field by low textures?). 3dfx having drivers that default the texture bias to sharper can also be a developer-influenced factor.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2023-11-02, 03:31:

for what it's worth Redline Racer's blurry like that on some real vintage 3d hardware too (as if the lod bias were too narrow), so I wouldn't blame this as a dgvoodoo bug either. No idea what Criterion were thinking when they did that (faux depth-of-field by low textures?). 3dfx having drivers that default the texture bias to sharper can also be a developer-influenced factor.

Yes it's not directly a dgVoodoo2 problem anyway. It was a card specific problem. Just in case Dege adds a new card and this becomes the behaviour (or if any of thr available card has this behaviour) that could be fixed.

Reply 10 of 12, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually it's a good news for me. I was pondering on whether it's a dgV bug because of not interpreting the renderstate correctly, or sg like that. But if it was also an issue back in the time of the game with some old hardware then it's definitely a game problem.

Reply 11 of 12, by Deano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2023-11-08, 16:13:

Actually it's a good news for me. I was pondering on whether it's a dgV bug because of not interpreting the renderstate correctly, or sg like that. But if it was also an issue back in the time of the game with some old hardware then it's definitely a game problem.

You might be too honest... as it looks like mipmap blending issue, at that era cards had very different capabilities. Setting the mip map bias out would make it sharper but cost a lot of performance on texture bound case so a lot of drivers 'tweaked' the value passed for benchmarks. Its quite possible Criterion set to a value that looked correct on most drivers/video cards of the time but they were all 'optimising' it 😀

Modern cards running that can force true trilinear or anisotropic filtering, or just push out the bias (will just push it further out and may alias more).

Game dev since last century

Reply 12 of 12, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deano wrote on 2023-11-08, 16:26:
Dege wrote on 2023-11-08, 16:13:

You might be too honest... as it looks like mipmap blending issue, at that era cards had very different capabilities. Setting the mip map bias out would make it sharper but cost a lot of performance on texture bound case so a lot of drivers 'tweaked' the value passed for benchmarks. Its quite possible Criterion set to a value that looked correct on most drivers/video cards of the time but they were all 'optimising' it 😀

Modern cards running that can force true trilinear or anisotropic filtering, or just push out the bias (will just push it further out and may alias more).

It's a nice explanation! Thanks!