VOGONS

First post, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As the title says. When in software mode, navigating to the joystick, mouse, or keyboard options menus will cause the desired screen to flicker once and then just show a black screen. Meanwhile, this seems to work fine in Direct3D and Glide mode.

In Glide mode however, you'll notice that when throwing TNT, the thrown projectiles are invisible. This may have to do with them being 3D models, I'm not entirely sure. The Outlaws Players website does have a patched [https://outlawsplayers.com/files1.html]Glide dll [/url] that fixes this, so maybe this can be used as a reference to implement this fix into dgVoodoo's glide?

Reply 2 of 10, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2023-11-14, 13:47:

Is software mode 'DirectDraw (fullscreen)'?

Because I gave it a quick go (with the latest WIP) but everything worked just fine both in the main menu and ingame menu.

Yes, it's DirectDraw. I don't mean the main menu and pause menus, but if you go to the options and open the joystick, mouse, or keyboard menus, that's where the issue is.

Reply 3 of 10, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OpenRift wrote on 2023-11-14, 16:57:

Because I gave it a quick go (with the latest WIP) but everything worked just fine both in the main menu and ingame menu.

Yes, it's DirectDraw. I don't mean the main menu and pause menus, but if you go to the options and open the joystick, mouse, or keyboard menus, that's where the issue is.

That's because those menus are implemented by an overlaid (child) dialog window. That won't appear while the game window is in fullscreen.
The only way for it is DX11 with configured to fake fullscreen.

Reply 4 of 10, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2023-11-14, 17:28:
OpenRift wrote on 2023-11-14, 16:57:

That's because those menus are implemented by an overlaid (child) dialog window. That won't appear while the game window is in fullscreen.
The only way for it is DX11 with configured to fake fullscreen.

Thanks for the info, I'll those settings when I get home. Thoughts on the invisible TNT issue?

Reply 7 of 10, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2023-11-19, 20:49:
I fixed the TNT issue. […]
Show full quote

I fixed the TNT issue.

However I don't understand why the menu doesn't appear for you.
Not even when you force the game window into true windowed mode?
What Win version do you run? Win10?

I'm running Windows 11. I've tried various fullscreen and windowed configurations in DirectDraw mode and none seem to make a difference.

Reply 9 of 10, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2023-11-20, 18:27:

Ah, I can't try it on Win11 now.

Also, I'm not sure if the game versions we have are the same. At least, I found a lot of this-and-that updates when looked at Outlawsplayers.

I do use the keyboard-fixed version from Outlawsplayers, but I don't think that should have any effect on the graphics.

Reply 10 of 10, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2023-11-19, 20:49:
I fixed the TNT issue. […]
Show full quote

I fixed the TNT issue.

However I don't understand why the menu doesn't appear for you.
Not even when you force the game window into true windowed mode?
What Win version do you run? Win10?

Okay, little bit of an update on this. I found out that I can only get the settings to display in DirectDraw mode if the Scaling mode is set to "Unspecified". Any other mode will just give the same result as before. Problem with this is that it means you can pretty much only play the game improperly scaled.

Also, thanks for the Glide TNT fix 😀