VOGONS

First post, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an Asus P5RD1-V with a ULI 1573 south bridge.

Sata DVD drive, Sata 80GB seagate drive.
This board has no AHCI/IDE options in the BIOS so I'm stuck loading the drivers (Got a USB floppy on the way).

SP2 will boot, load the setup until "Loading Windows" where it BSODs. SP3 loads to the initial setup screen (Press Enter to install) and then says it cant find a hard drive. What I don't understand is.. they both will boot off the CD? And windows partially loads the setup?

Reply 1 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have a SATA to IDE adapter on hand? Using one of those and setting it up that way is the lazy man's way of doing this, just move the drive to the SATA port after XP is installed with all of the necessary drivers.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 11, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could also add the SATA drivers directly to a WinXP install media with nLite and use that to install XP.

As for the SATA devices partially working without drivers, I guess that's just the way they roll.

Reply 3 of 11, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-01-05, 19:33:

Do you have a SATA to IDE adapter on hand? Using one of those and setting it up that way is the lazy man's way of doing this, just move the drive to the SATA port after XP is installed with all of the necessary drivers.

I do not.

Sombrero wrote on 2022-01-05, 19:50:

You could also add the SATA drivers directly to a WinXP install media with nLite and use that to install XP.

As for the SATA devices partially working without drivers, I guess that's just the way they roll.

Tried that. It resulted in an "unknown error NTDLL" or something to that effect.

Reply 5 of 11, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-05, 20:10:

You might not have any luck loading the drivers via USB Floppy due to the way the XP installation hard resets the USB ports during hardware detection. It didn't work for me when I used a X79 based board with AHCI (enabled on a ASMedia controller). The SATA disk drive would be detected, and I could prepare the partition for installation. However, during the final file copy phase, the files on the USB A: drive would fail to copy. I gave up and flipped back to IDE mode.

You might have better luck, and I hope you do. The worst case is to buy the ribbon cable, floppy drive, and call it a day. You never know when you might need it down the road for some other throw-together-a-system-real-quick project.

Well, I found a "pack" of ULi drivers from Nvidia's site. Nlited them into an SP3 iso, will see what happens.

Reply 6 of 11, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure it's a driver issue? I don't have a board like those, but I've never met similar issues. It was always something else (non-software related).

Edit:
As I see the board is far too old to be too new for XP. Especially for SP3.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 8 of 11, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-01-05, 20:27:

Are you sure it's a driver issue? I don't have a board like those, but I've never met similar issues. It was always something else (non-software related).

Edit:

Almost positive. The drivers I injected onto the disk, it reported using the "M5287" this time and actually proceeded to detect the hard drive and install.

Originally tried the drivers listed on Asus's website, those were a no go for whatever reason.

Driver pack came from here. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/uli-drivers/

Meatball wrote on 2022-01-05, 20:32:

Or I see on the same page there is an option for SATA boot rom. Is this enabled?

There is that option. All it does is enable/disable the RAID setup on boot. (Like how an old PCI RAID card has its own boot rom after POST). With it enabled it knocks me completely out of booting off the DVD drive.

Last edited by Private_Ops on 2022-01-05, 20:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 11, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-05, 20:35:
Private_Ops wrote on 2022-01-05, 20:33:
Almost positive. The drivers I injected onto the disk, it reported using the "M5287" this time and actually proceeded to detect […]
Show full quote
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-01-05, 20:27:

Edit:

Almost positive. The drivers I injected onto the disk, it reported using the "M5287" this time and actually proceeded to detect the hard drive and install.

Originally tried the drivers listed on Asus's website, those were a no go for whatever reason.

Driver pack came from here. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/uli-drivers/

Sounds like you got it working; great!

Yup, so far so good. Added those drivers to my file server for future use if need be.

Reply 11 of 11, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Image the hard drive. It'll be faster and more convenient to rewrite the image if a clean install is necessary than actually installing XP again.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png