VOGONS

First post, by geertjanb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I grew up with dos/95/98/xp.

As a kid i really started to deep dive into computers with a windows 98 computer in my room. I was trying everything and learning from that experience.

I'm currently setting up two windows 98 computers

3200+, nforce2, 512mb, audigy 2zs, 9800pro
3000+, VIA KM400, 512mb, audigy 2zs, 6800LE

and they gave me nothing but headaches. FPS drops in games, freezes, dos games freezing up or not working at all, blue screens, etc etc.

It was getting so bad i decided to switch to windows xp which works like a charm compared to 98.

Now my question is:
am i using to new hardware for 98, where these issues always there or did i just forget about it? or am i just doing something wrong?

Reply 1 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The thing that jumps out to me is the neforce 2 chipset on computer 1 and the 6800LE on computer 2.

windows 98 is a finicky b*****. Try putting the 9800pro on VIA board and giving windows a fresh install.

One other thing... the audigy 2 should be installed with the VXD driver. The WMD driver can sometimes cause problems.

With the right chipset and drivers windows 98 can be pretty stable, but the occasional crash can be expected.

Reply 2 of 8, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes, its all about drivers as already said. to be honest i just dont put windows 98 on any machine where the cpu exceeds much beyond 1ghz, it just seems to become less and less stable and by the time we get into mid 2000's tech it no longer seems worth the effort to me . However if lacking other hardware and wanting multiboot etc then it makes total sense to invest the time and effort

Reply 4 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
geertjanb wrote on 2023-06-06, 11:26:

Ah thanks, conclusion is I'm just using too modern hardware. I do recall trying windows 98 on a pentium 3 733mhz, voodoo2 sli and a creative live and I had no issues which confirms the above.

Our family PC in 2000 was a Pentium III 733 Mhz, too.
It shipped with Windows 98SE, some nvidia graphics card, on-board sound (SB16 compatibility option CMOS Setup) and an Elsa USB modem.
Monitor was a 17" model, I think. Memory about 128MB? 256MB? Something like that.
It had 768MB once we had moved it over to Windows XP.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 8, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The km400, nforce2 and geforce 6800 are all basically end of '03 going into '04 hardware. If drivers were made, they could be half-baked. You are basically on the very end of what could have had win98 support before it was just discontinued and left for broken. So now you are hunting for specific driver versions hoping for the best or making some serious compromises. So those machines require more attention. I agree that stepping down a bit will be easier, to no loss. You might still be able to try out the ATI 9800 pro.

Reply 6 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fast processors aren't necessary a problem, it's really about how well the chipset and graphics behave in windows 9x. One of the most stable platforms I have ever used is for windows 9x is socket 478... but that is because it used an intel chipset that was only a few years removed from the period. You don't always strictly need chipset drivers even, but it certainty can help.

Some via chipsets are quite good and I have had success with socket 754 in windows 9x before. Some chipsets are also pretty awful. For example, the socket 775 VIA chipsets have always given me problems Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

If all the games and software you are interested in run well in XP you might want to do that 😀.

Reply 7 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What everybody else said, plus:

You should avoid using PCI cards until you are sure the machine is stable without them. PCI cards and their drivers are a tricky thing with Win9x in particular. Their interactions with each other and motherboard devices are also a source of problems.

I would also consider disabling USB 2.0. It is another source of complications with Win9x.

And if your boards have SATA, note that mixing SATA and IDE can be troublesome with Win9x. Those boards seem just old enough to lack it though.