VOGONS

First post, by Hiddenevil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

System: Dell Dimension 4300, C-media CMI8738 PCI audio, Geforce2 MX400

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me here. I've recently installed Win98 on my Dimension 4300 and wanted to play some Tomb Raider. However it is refusing to play ball with the sound card I have installed. I opted for the C-media as I had read the onboard soundcard of the 4300 is pretty dreadful and not very DOS friendly.

My only issue at the moment is that when I try to run the setup to detect the card, it identifies it as a Soundblaster 16, I go to test and instant lock up.

There's an old android saying which I believe is peculiarly appropriate here. In binary language it goes something like this: 001100111011000111100, which roughly translated means: "Don't stand around jabbering when you're in mortal danger!"

Reply 1 of 8, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't use the autodetect.

Open up a DOS prompt, type SET, and then press ENTER.

Look for the SET BLASTER line.

It's going to look similar to this: SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4

A is memory address, I is IRQ, D is DMA, and T is the Sound Blaster type. Select manual configuration during Tomb Raider Setup and choose the exact details given from your SET BLASTER variable. When you test, Lara should respond with "Right... let's go adventuring!" You're good to go at this point. Save the configuration.

Remember this applies ONLY if you're playing the game in Windows. If you are dropping into DOS mode, then the SET BLASTER details should be in AUTOEXEC.BAT and/or DOSSTART.BAT (if exiting Windows and going into MS-DOS mode).

More information is here:
https://dos.fandom.com/wiki/BLASTER_Variable

Reply 2 of 8, by Hiddenevil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have installed the DOS drivers for the CMI8738 and they're in the autoexec.bat

However I'm not sure if they're loading in DOS mode, when the system first boots up, there's a brief moment, where I see it listing the sound card and settings just before the 98 splash screen pops up. BUT once in Win98, when select reboot in to DOS, it seems to be using a different autoexec.bat, which is blank. Where about's is that stored? It's been 23 years since I messed with this stuff and sadly I've forgotten what 20 year old me used to do 🤣

I'll going and try SET now, I'm going to assume you mean to open a DOS window within Windows and run SET and NOT to reboot in to DOS.

Many thanks and I apologise for any and all dumb questions I know I'm probably going to ask, as I rediscover my Win98 sea legs 😜

There's an old android saying which I believe is peculiarly appropriate here. In binary language it goes something like this: 001100111011000111100, which roughly translated means: "Don't stand around jabbering when you're in mortal danger!"

Reply 3 of 8, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those configurations/settings you see during bootup are for DOS, not Windows. The command shell within Windows use Windows variables, not the ones you see in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Yes, there is no need to drop into DOS mode (unless the game is completely busted in Windows - then you can try the DOS route).

These questions are nothing abnormal - most everyone takes time to grasp the handoff/difference between DOS & Windows in 9x.

DOSSTART.BAT is used when you select to reboot into DOS mode from the start menu. More details:
http://smallvoid.com/article/win9x-dosstart.html

Reply 4 of 8, by Hiddenevil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't seem to find a dosStart.bat inside my windows folder

Reply 5 of 8, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hiddenevil wrote on 2023-08-18, 19:59:

I can't seem to find a dosStart.bat inside my windows folder

If it's not there, it means no application/driver/config/etc. created it. You can create one yourself, but you don't need it unless you plan on playing in MS-DOS mode.

Reply 6 of 8, by Hiddenevil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I checked SET

BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T4

When I try to set that manually in Tomb raider it freezes up the setup program.

Foggy memories tell me this is an IRQ issue perhaps?

Reply 7 of 8, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hiddenevil wrote on 2023-08-18, 20:41:
So I checked SET […]
Show full quote

So I checked SET

BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T4

When I try to set that manually in Tomb raider it freezes up the setup program.

Foggy memories tell me this is an IRQ issue perhaps?

I wonder if it's the High DMA. Which Sound Blaster did you select? T4=Sound Blaster Pro. Try that one, which will not use H5.

Reply 8 of 8, by Hiddenevil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok so I was getting no where with that sound card. Decided to plug in the only card I had spare, a Creative Ensoniq. I'd read that these weren't a very good card.

Well I know this much, Tomb raider worked fine first time after installing the drivers.