VOGONS

Windows 95 setup guide for the 2020's

Topic actions

Reply 121 of 123, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The directory name probably changed, too. So the start menu is pointing to the wrong directory now.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 122 of 123, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
psaez wrote on 2024-04-18, 17:26:

I think it was after installing your custom service pack.

Your assumption is correct.

You should omit the service pack in this case and use "FIX95CPU_V3_FINAL.ZIP" instead, to get at least the most important (language independent) fixes.

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 123 of 123, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm... I probably need to add a disclaimer about the language thing. It's true that many of the patches that Microsoft released had to be downloaded specifically for the language-version of Windows you had, and crossing the patches for the different language versions would cause trouble. The service pack linked in the guide obviously only includes the English-language versions of the patches, otherwise it would be multiple times larger!

On the other hand, a lot of software also assumed your localisation and paths, and wrote stuff to wherever instead of %WINDIR%, etc. More than once I had to hunt for shortcuts and things like that from mirror-directories and manually place them in the localised or changed-default location. What a bummer. Eventually I just grew tired of dealing with that, and moved to using the English language version of Windows. It was most consistent anyway. I'm from a smaller language region though. I would expect a lot more software would have been available with proper Spanish translations...

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.