VOGONS

Quake GOG music

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I meant to say that the speed at which the discs were burned makes it work (if they were burned slow enough). Could this have something to do with de-emphasis on the music? Or should I get a new drive?

I am as smooth as a gravy train with flaming biscuit wheels.

Reply 21 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

De-emphasis is there for countering frequency response deficiencies in ancient CD players where the DACs still needed big analog filters. It definitely won't have anything to do with this problem.
I personally would find another drive, perhaps an LG CGE-8526B or another relative in the series. Those drives have been able to read anything I give them, and burn stuff that works in ancient CD players and game consoles even at 16x and higher burn speeds.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 22 of 24, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That sounds incredible!!! I would love to have a drive that could read anything I threw at it. Could you send me a link to one?

Reply 23 of 24, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you mean GCE?

Reply 24 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whoops, yeah GCE.

I bought that drive new years ago, so I have not had to look for one. I do have come across them over the years and they have all played along very very well with the exception of tray sometimes getting stuck but this is a problem many drives face nowdays due to rubber belts in them losing their tension or the lubricants gumming up...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜