VOGONS

First post, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On a DOS, Windows 3.11 installation which on the past fifteen years I transfered the installation to various PC builds it has on Windows installation some VGA drivers I want completely to be removed. I want to remove S3 and Intel i8xx VGA drivers which created on control panel an application for resolutions and refresh rates. How to remove them completely?

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 1 of 3, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you need to run setup.exe from windows folder in dos, then you select VGA as your output device.
when you boot, you can uninstall or delete the files manually

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 2 of 3, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 3.x era drivers had a bad habit of strewing files all over \WINDOWS and \WINDOWS\SYSTEM with no uninstall utility, so odds are there's no clean way to do this.

For the Control Panel applets, there will be *.CPL files in \WINDOWS\SYSTEM that you need to delete. You should be able to figure out by the time stamps and/or file names which ones belong to the old cards.

Failing that, I'd look through the original driver installer packages. They probably have either compressed single files like *.CP_ or a ZIP file or something like that where you can verify the file names of the stuff you need to delete.

If you ever need to just return to the original VGA drivers, you can use the SETUP util as outlined in the reply above me or do what I do and just edit the display line in \WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI to say display=VGA.DRV

Oh, and that's another thing: there will most likely be sections in WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI added by the drivers that you need to remove if you want to totally eradicate them.

Reply 3 of 3, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can delete entries in WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI that refer to those drivers... just be careful and back up the files first. Can also go through the OEMx.inf files in WINDOWS/SYSTEM and delete the ones referring to those drivers... and edit the SETUP.INF in same directory and remove the entries under display and/or display.old

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif