VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an OS image on a CDROM disk. What is the best way to copy these contents to a hard drive ?

My computer is:
I am running DOS 6.21
4X CDROM drive.
486dx2-50 CPU with 32mb ram.
5400rpm IBM IDE hard-drive.
IDE drives.
CDROM image contents about 150mb.

What tools would you use and what commands in DOS ?

Reply 1 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rufus ?
https://rufus.ie/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 18, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an OS image on a CDROM disk. What is the best way to copy these contents to a hard drive ?

What type of image? How did you create it? Ideally, you use the same software to restore it.

Reply 3 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I downloaded it from an IBM museum website. It’s a hard-drive image of the original install.
It has all the files extracted in a directory.
They are just DOS and Windows’s files and boot files.
A typical hard drive image.

I could use “xcopy” command but that does not work to well.

Reply 4 of 18, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not an image then. xcopy should work as long as you add parameters for copying hidden files and sub-folders. Note however that the system files can not be just copied over, so you won't get a bootable partition by just copying the files back. You need to boot from a floppy with exactly the same version of DOS and do a "sys a: c:" afterwards.

Reply 5 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

It's not an image then. xcopy should work as long as you add parameters for copying hidden files and sub-folders. Note however that the system files can not be just copied over, so you won't get a bootable partition by just copying the files back. You need to boot from a floppy with exactly the same version of DOS and do a "sys a: c:" afterwards.

What command syntax should I use ?

Reply 6 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just use Windows 3.1 file manager or the likes of XTree, Norton Commander et el and drag the files across. If there is a file called setup.exe or install.exe or restore.exe in the cd root directory run that.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 7 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FileMaven can also be used as a file manager. It can copy whole directory structures, afaik.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why do some so called ex IT professionals make things appear so difficult?

Reply 9 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:

Why do some so called ex IT professionals make things appear so difficult?

Good question, haha. 🤣 If it was me, I'd just provide an HDD image in RAW format, so anyone with an USB-IDE adapter,
Win32DiskImage and Windows or Linux/Mac/BSD (+WINE) could just write the image back 1:1, including fisk geometry, disk id, boot sectors etc. 😀
Or just by using some old dd-like tools for software that the system used to run natively (OS/2, Windows 3.x etc).
Anyway, the providers of the "image" apparently thought that the old target systen must be used to handle a restoration media no matter what.
Hence, they stored the content in a zip file/ISO image etc, so these huge masses of data can be temporarily stored somehow.
In case of the latter, I wonder why they did not include some batch file or installer which assists the user.. 🙄

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There most likely is a helper file if it's made from the original restore cd or a boot disk image to create a boot disk to start the restore routine and rawrite or a *exe file to create that restore boot disk.

Reply 11 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is what is on the CD.
I want to boot off a DOS 6.21 boot disk and run a command to copy all the files to the hard-drive.
But I need the best way to do this without changing any of the original file directories and attribs.

What is the best way to do this ?

Reply 12 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See above. That does not look like a recovery CD lay out just a copy of an fresh install copied straight over to a cd rom. As long as your current hdd has the same IBM Dos it's just a straight tranfer of all the files/folders. You can do this in an external usb hdd caddy on a modern machine if you want to.

Reply 13 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don’t want to remove the drive from the case as it is bolted in and difficult to remove.
Is there a DOS command I can use to copy all these files at once from cdrom to hard drive ?

Reply 14 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Google "copy a complete cd to hardrive using xcopy" and see what pops up. I recommend DR Dos xcopy. It's more reliable and doesn't miss files.

Reply 15 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

I don’t want to remove the drive from the case as it is bolted in and difficult to remove.
Is there a DOS command I can use to copy all these files at once from cdrom to hard drive ?

Why removing at all ? Provided there's enough space inside, an USB adapter also works with the IDE drive installed just fine. 😉
In fact, you *could* just leave it connected to the old PC's PSU, too. (Not recommended because of potential differences etc, though.)

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were also links to real restore images on a dedicated IBM PS/1 site in one of his previous threads. I wonder if the OP has looked there.

Reply 17 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, I used the following command “xcopy e:\*.* s/e/ c:”
That copied everything on the CDROM disk to the hard-drive including subdirectories and empty directories.

Worked great.

Reply 18 of 18, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats good to hear.