VOGONS

First post, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, so I am going to read off the drivers I got for my 98 system and will explain below.

GPU: GeForce 2 MX 400 (64MB) - Yes

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live 1.5 - CT4760 - Yes

5.25" DVD Drive Bay: TOSHIBA SD-M1202 - Didn't get driver as it's just firmware and wanted to avoid complication, plus could not find DOS version too.

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro- Yes

Gravis Gamepad Pro - Yes

Software:

Intel 440BX Chipset

CuteMouse - Is this only for pure DOS or is it for MS-DOS built in 98? Also do I really need it versus the one that comes with 98.

DirectX9C compatible

BIOS Update File

Now for the driver files I know people talk about DOS versions of certain drivers now do I even need DOS drivers for say my GPU or Soundcard? I just got confused from a lot of this just because I have heard so many people talking about DOS counterpart drivers, if I can get some clarification that would be great as I am still new, thanks!

Reply 1 of 3, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CuteMouse is for DOS, not sure about Win 3.1x. Win 9x and later won't need it.
GPUs don't need graphics drivers, although VBE can add features that games will use on some cards. I don't think it'll be needed for your GPU
Soundcards I can't comment on, as, being tone deaf in one ear and deaf in the other, they were never a priority for me

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 3, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-11-28, 23:01:

CuteMouse is for DOS, not sure about Win 3.1x. Win 9x and later won't need it.
GPUs don't need graphics drivers, although VBE can add features that games will use on some cards. I don't think it'll be needed for your GPU
Soundcards I can't comment on, as, being tone deaf in one ear and deaf in the other, they were never a priority for me

Thanks man 😀 I appreciate it!

Reply 3 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You will need DOS drivers for your CT4760 if you intend to use it in DOS – unless you only want to use it from an MS-DOS prompt while running Windows 98. In any case, I think the DOS drivers are a standard component of the Win9x driver distribution.