VOGONS

First post, by zack4mac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello I have rediscovered Windows 2000 now with SP4 that now works with USB and its really snappy in fact I think its the greatest Microsoft operating system ever! so I'm trying to disable the swap file becasue I'm using SSD can anyone point me in the right direction 

Cheers

Reply 1 of 4, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where the hell did you get the idea you should disable pagefile on SSDs?

Leave the pagefile alone. Disabling it will save practically nothing. If your drive doesn't fail from limited writes or you use any time troubleshooting issues caused by disabling the pagefile it will actually cost you.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-04-02, 01:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I'm a bit sleepy right now, so I'm not in the mood to explain things accurately. I'm sorry. 😅

Re: SSD in a Vintage Computer

In essence : NTFS is better suited for SSDs than FAT32.
Microsoft recommends swap files on SSDs.
It's not that far fetched IMHO, because both the PC's RAM (-> Windows Virtual Memory) and the SSD deal with 4KB chunks.

That's good, because SSDs use flash cells, which have to be written block wise.
That's why there's so much fuss about alignment, I assume.

Edit: To answer the original question..The swap file settings used to be somewhere in Control Panel -> System.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I should add that even on systems with lots of RAM , disabling the page file completely is a bad idea. Windows is designed to use a swap file.