VOGONS

First post, by elzabbul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have issues running Q3 engine based games with my old rusty Voodoo Rush (MX86251) under Win 98 SE. I remember back in the days, Q3 was running quite fine, however right now all I get is the error message "Expected VXD version V1.4, got V1.2". I tried a different game - this time American Mcgee's Alice - and I get exactly the same message - and the last entry in the console log is "calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\Windows\System\3dfxvgl.dll')". Could you please guide me on how to solve this issue?

The drivers installed are: Macronix Voodoo Rush V1.02.11B

Reply 1 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That error message is due to mentioned driver that is installed in your computer which are older. The VXD in question is likely FXMEMMAP.VXD file that comes with that driver, try updating the drivers to latest one that you card supports to see if it that solves the problem.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Forgot one thing to say, the Voodoo Rush is slow to get smooth experience on Quake III based engines, even with a fast CPU. I don't have this card, but I do have a Voodoo Graphics card which is also slow for this kind of stuff.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 7, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vintage id Tech3 games (Quake 3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Elite Force, etc.) are best played with vintage (or newer) Nvidia GPUs, as they have proprietary OpenGL extensions for the Nvidia hardware. Even the current Nvidia drivers on the latest GPUs still support the old OpenGL extensions used for Nvidia hardware and they look wonderful.

Reply 5 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2021-08-08, 23:14:

Vintage id Tech3 games (Quake 3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Elite Force, etc.) are best played with vintage (or newer) Nvidia GPUs, as they have proprietary OpenGL extensions for the Nvidia hardware.

idTech3 games don't use any nvidia extensions

The only nvidia specificness ends in nVidia's WRONG edge texture clamping behavior which breaks skyboxes for other non-nvidia/non-3dfx GPUs that actually implement edge clamps correctly.

If there's any one vendor-specific extension idtech3 games commonly use, it's WGL_3DFX_gamma_control and that's only for V1/V2 users.

Anyway the point is, Rush was a mess including in its day. Even OG Voodoo Graphics cards are a better choice due to performance and compatibility over the Rush. (and you can definitely run a few id tech3 games on an older, non-rush Voodoo)

Last edited by leileilol on 2021-08-09, 19:28. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I may get flamed for saying this, but if you actually intend to use a Voodoo based card (as seems to be the case, according to your post), it may be a good idea to offload that Voodoo Rush to someone who actually wants one more for its collectability than its usability (or lack thereof) and get a Voodoo 1, 2 or 3 instead . You might even end up making some money in the process .