VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure why but the DRM screen for Monkey Island is all corrupted for me. I tried a couple of different video cards, Nvidia GeForce 5200 AGP, S3 ViRGE PCI, S3 TRIO64V+ PCI, and a Tseng Labs ET4000 ISA.

The computer is running a 300mhz Pentium 2 with a no-frills config.sys/autoexec.bat with HIMEM and no EMM386.

I also tried this on a 233mhz Socket 7 with the same result.

Does anyone know why the graphics are corrupt for the DRM screen?

Attachments

Reply 3 of 3, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not corrupt. There is a patch available which seems to fix it:

https://appsupport.disney.com/hc/en-us/articl … ucasfilm-games-

I also found that the cracked monkey.exe I have is for the old version which has issues on faster CPUs. At least it works now but I hate having to use a code wheel every time the game starts.

The game was released for free as part of PC Gamer Magazine July 2000 without copy protection. Unfortunately, this version has the CPU speed issue and crashes with run time error R6003 of the system is too fast.

Anyways, this is getting off-topic. I don't know why the original release is corrupted but it's not the version I should be using anyways.

The run time error and CPU related issues are already well known and I'll find some workaround for it by slowing down my CPU.

CORRECTS: This is a replacement executable file which will cure sound problems or a lock-up when using a Sound Blaster card with a 486 or faster computers. Symptoms include the error message 'Run time error R6003 - integer divide by zero' when attempting to start the game, or a scratchy/staticy sound.

NOTES: This update will only work with the 256 color VGA version of the game. Check the name of the game directory on your hard drive, it should read MONKEY.VGA or look at the game disks, the labels should be green and say 256 VGA.

IMPORTANT: If you are using the PC Gamer version of Monkey Island 1: The Secret of Monkey Island or Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, please do not install this update. A special version of the 486 Fix was added to the PC Gamer version of these games. If you install this update with the PC Gamer version of these game, copy protection will be added to the game making it unplayable. If you install this update by mistake, please delete the game and reinstall a new version from PC Gamer.

It's interesting that the PC Gamer version is supposed to have the 486 fix that corrects this error but this does not appear to be the case. I was also wrong about the other MONKEY.EXE being a crack. It's actually just the PC Gamer version.