VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WarGreymon77 wrote on 2020-09-26, 07:44:

I can't see any reason why a DOS program wouldn't work in Windows 98 just fine, though.

Oh, there's plenty of reasons.

It's got plenty of compatibility thingies and virtual machines built into the OS, if I recall.

There's just one virtual machine, designed to run on the hardware from 90s, which inevitably led to severe limitations.
Decent virtual machines - like Dosbox - came much later.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 21 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't see any reason why a DOS program wouldn't work in Windows 98 just fine, though. It's got plenty of compatibility thingies and virtual machines built into the OS, if I recall.

Perhaps you are thinking of "How to ensure that your program does not run under Windows 95", the bonus chapter from Raymond Chen's book?
http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9780321 … _bonus_ch02.pdf

It seems they did a very meticulous job of tracking down a lot of badly-programmed software, but it's unthinkable that they could have covered every possible case.

Reply 22 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't see any reason why a DOS program wouldn't work in Windows 98 just fine, though.

I believe Windows 98 DOS VMs have about the same limitations like DOS+EMM386 in V86 mode.
Accesses to the bare metal are either prohibited, intercepted or delayed (-> timing issues).
And I assume, some DOS programs just don't like this. 🙁

Grzyb wrote on 2020-09-26, 10:41:

It's got plenty of compatibility thingies and virtual machines built into the OS, if I recall.

There's just one virtual machine, designed to run on the hardware from 90s, which inevitably led to severe limitations.
Decent virtual machines - like Dosbox - came much later.

I think there's a x86 port of Virtual PC 4 for Windows 98 and OS/2, but yes, VMs generally came by the end of the 90s, I think. Emulators like SoftAT, SoftPC (used by NTVDM on RISC), SoftWindows and Virtual PC (Mac) existed earlier. Almost-VMs like dosemu or Wabi excluded. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 23, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-09-26, 17:35:

I believe Windows 98 DOS VMs have about the same limitations like DOS+EMM386 in V86 mode.

There's more limitations.
VDMs under Windows work with multitasking, which causes various timing problems, eg. it's not allowed to change the timer interrupt frequency.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.