VOGONS

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! someone knows if there is a custom build for DOS of wolf3d that fix the left shift run problem? thanks

Disable num lock fix only the always run, but still the shift key interfere with cursor keys

Reply 1 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use this amazing project: wolfmidi+wolfdosmpu - Wolf3D/SoD music in General MIDI (fully-automatic converter) + WOLF3D.EXE with MPU-401 support

You don't need to use the MIDI stuff, although that's awesome too. WASD and mouse support is great and solves the left shift thing too.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 10, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2024-04-17, 04:29:

I use this amazing project: wolfmidi+wolfdosmpu - Wolf3D/SoD music in General MIDI (fully-automatic converter) + WOLF3D.EXE with MPU-401 support

You don't need to use the MIDI stuff, although that's awesome too. WASD and mouse support is great and solves the left shift thing too.

Thanks for answer, in fact i use wolfmpu, but the left shift problems exist still in this custom build

Back on time i use right shift, but i found left shift more confortable to my hands

Reply 3 of 10, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
theelf wrote on 2024-04-15, 22:11:

Hi! someone knows if there is a custom build for DOS of wolf3d that fix the left shift run problem? thanks

Disable num lock fix only the always run, but still the shift key interfere with cursor keys

... I've been curious about this behavior for a long time... what exactly could be causing it and why is it associated with NUMLOCK?

I noticed another behavior, however... that if you set Left Shift as run, it'll stay "pressed" until you press Right Shift, effectively making it a "walk" key similar to some other games.

On the other hand, this always-run behavior becomes a bit unstable if you run in a Windows DOS box.

Reply 4 of 10, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LSS10999 wrote on 2024-04-17, 14:21:
... I've been curious about this behavior for a long time... what exactly could be causing it and why is it associated with NUML […]
Show full quote
theelf wrote on 2024-04-15, 22:11:

... I've been curious about this behavior for a long time... what exactly could be causing it and why is it associated with NUMLOCK?

I noticed another behavior, however... that if you set Left Shift as run, it'll stay "pressed" until you press Right Shift, effectively making it a "walk" key similar to some other games.

On the other hand, this always-run behavior becomes a bit unstable if you run in a Windows DOS box.

Hi, i was going to explain, but the member K1n9_Duk3 did very well here

Strange Doom + Wolf3D cursor/shift key mix-up in MSDOS 7.1

Reply 5 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
theelf wrote on 2024-04-17, 13:03:

Thanks for answer, in fact i use wolfmpu, but the left shift problems exist still in this custom build

Works fine for me.

Reply 6 of 10, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2024-04-26, 08:17:
theelf wrote on 2024-04-17, 13:03:

Works fine for me.

I tested 1.51 and left shift have the same problem regular wolf3d

Reply 7 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I simply use the Z key for the Run action to get around this when using the oldschool controls in the DOS version of Wolf3D.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 8 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
theelf wrote on 2024-04-26, 16:10:

From memory there are 2 options when using wolfmidi - classic controls or modern controls. Modern gives you WASD and some other changes, which is what I use. And left shift for run definitely works using this version.

Reply 9 of 10, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on Today, 00:17:
theelf wrote on 2024-04-26, 16:10:

From memory there are 2 options when using wolfmidi - classic controls or modern controls. Modern gives you WASD and some other changes, which is what I use. And left shift for run definitely works using this version.

No, dont work like i said, test again. Wolfdosmpu still have same problem with cursor keys and left shift

Reply 10 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

theelf is right, the keyboard interrupt routine in wolfdosmpu is unchanged (aside from improving the Tab key handling) from the original source code.

The modern controls mitigate the problem because the WASD keys are taken account when one of the Shift keys are pressed, and the mouse is primarily used for rotation.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS