VOGONS

First post, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

On my 386 system with a 386DX40 AMD processor, Tseng ET4000AX graphics card, 20MB RAM, DOS 6.22, and a Sound Blaster Pro 2 (CT1600), I'd like to play Jazz Jackrabbit. Apart from the fact that the game only runs at 59 Hz instead of 70Hz (unlike everything else under DOS), it actually runs quite well. However, I can't save. Whenever I try to save, the entire system freezes. Not even "ctrl + alt + esc" works anymore. Only a reset helps.

It looks like this:

jazz_crashed.jpeg
Filename
jazz_crashed.jpeg
File size
166.97 KiB
Views
File comment
crashed jazz jackrabbit dos
File license
Public domain

Does anyone know this issue and how to solve it?

I have the same problem on a Pentium MMX 233MHz system. Under DOS it crashes the same way and under Windows 95, I get this error:

jazz_win95_crash_while_saving.jpg
Filename
jazz_win95_crash_while_saving.jpg
File size
216.31 KiB
Views
File comment
crashed jazz jackrabbit win95
File license
Public domain

And it doesn't matter if I start the game via the "jazz.exe" or the "jazz.pif". It is a bit more stable with "jazz.pif", but then it crashed randomly.

Edit:

Starting the game with "JAZZ /VGA" fixed the issue with the 59Hz (I get 70Hz) but , sadly, it doesn't fix the crashing-while-saving-issue.

I also tried the "TPPATCH" from https://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/341/jazz-1-tppatch/ - sadly, with no luck. 🙁 Same crash as before.
Even diffrent versions of the game result in the same issue. I tried the CD-Version 1.3 and the floppy version,

Last edited by User5518 on 2024-04-23, 18:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by User5518

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally, it is working! No more crashes (so far)...

IMG_8946.jpg
Filename
IMG_8946.jpg
File size
133.7 KiB
Views
File comment
No more crahes while saving
File license
Public domain

Solution: Installing the driver for my Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600... at least in my 386DX40-Machine.

Edit:

Yes, it was the sound-configuration. After I configured the Soundcard to a "Sound Blaster 16" on my 233MHz-Machine, it is now working with my AWE64. 😀