VOGONS

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have not had any luck getting this to configure in Win95. Does anyone know if there were drivers for this stick, or any tricks to get it to work? Neither analogue or digital mode allow calibration, though the buttons register.

I like the stick since it incorporates both a throttle lever and twist action for rudders making a nice small footprint solution for flying games, - and was hoping/struggling to get it working on my W95 Retro rig.

Anyone have luck with this?

EDIT: info, 15-pin plug [not USB] and using Saitek drivers v275

EDIT 2: after testing on W95 and W98 boxes swapping several sound cards, working assumption is stick is faulty. Have eBayed a Logitech Wingman 3D [similar twist handle gameport controller] fior testing. If it works on either build, then Saitek is the likely culprit.

Last edited by tincup on 2012-07-05, 18:21. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

do you have the original cd
have you tried the drivers on that ?

edit: you say you cant calibrate axis, but do the axis work some sticks didnt need calibration

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 9, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got it second hand and don't have the original CD. I do have the CD for the Cyborg Gold USB model which I use for my XP rig and it also works in W98. But the drivers will not load into W95. I downloaded a version Saitek v275 driver from several places off the web and while it installs ok, and correctly identifies the stick as 'connected', it doesn't respond during calibration in ananlogue mode and is totally spastic in digital.

I read that there were issues with this stick/W95 and a patch was realsed. No luck finding it, but I assumed the v275 driver was the upgraded any way. Saitek/MadCatz doesn't keep an old driver repository.

Im running sticks through a Thrustmaster ACM gamecard. Nascar Pro wheel/pedals are fine. TMscope doesn't give 'sane' readings for the Cyborg though..

EDIT: pulled the gamecard and testing sound card game ports, with no luck..

Reply 3 of 9, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

[Necro for the win!]

tincup wrote on 2012-07-01, 14:45:

I read that there were issues with this stick/W95 and a patch was realsed. No luck finding it, but I assumed the v275 driver was the upgraded any way. Saitek/MadCatz doesn't keep an old driver repository.

Just possibly that was this different patch for the gameport Cyborg 3D on XP.
ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/cyborg3d.zip

here's a translation of the txt file it includes

================================================== ==============================
Patch for Saitek Cyborg 3D digital joystick with gameport connection and Windows XP
!!! Not compatible with other devices / versions !!
================================================== ==============================
Installation Guide:
=======================
* Double click on the "cyborg3d.reg" file and confirm the following window with "Yes"
* Open Control Panel / Game Controller, click "Add" and select "Cyborg 3d" from the list
* All 10 buttons should now be available

I've just gone through everything in ftp.saitek looking for the Cyborg 3D USB drivers, and they really-o-truely are not there. No luck with wayback either, thanks to ASP. The only source I've found is Softpedia. They've currently got SD_WinXP_4_3_3_1727drivers.exe [md5sum 8348f9517c27e557bd4162ca42a23661]. It checks okay on Virustotal, but still..

If you or anyone would like to upload the Cyborg 3D USB CD iso to one of the public archives, that would definitely fill a gap.

Reply 4 of 9, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote on 2020-02-23, 17:08:
[Necro for the win!] […]
Show full quote

[Necro for the win!]

tincup wrote on 2012-07-01, 14:45:

Just possibly that was this different patch for the gameport Cyborg 3D on XP.
ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/cyborg3d.zip

here's a translation of the txt file it includes

Patch for Saitek Cyborg 3D digital joystick with gameport connection and Windows XP
!!! Not compatible with other devices / versions !!
Installation Guide:
=======================
* Double click on the "cyborg3d.reg" file and confirm the following window with "Yes"
* Open Control Panel / Game Controller, click "Add" and select "Cyborg 3d" from the list
* All 10 buttons should now be available

I've just gone through everything in ftp.saitek looking for the Cyborg 3D USB drivers, and they really-o-truely are not there. No luck with wayback either, thanks to ASP. The only source I've found is Softpedia. They've currently got SD_WinXP_4_3_3_1727drivers.exe [md5sum 8348f9517c27e557bd4162ca42a23661]. It checks okay on Virustotal, but still..

If you or anyone would like to upload the Cyborg 3D USB CD iso to one of the public archives, that would definitely fill a gap.

Well, 8 years later I'm back on the case. Was searching for W95 drivers for the Saitek Aviator (if there is one) and stumbled on my own thread from back when. My Cyborg Gold is out in storage and won't be able to retrieve it until later this summer - but when I do I'll try to upload an iso.

In the meantime I'm trying to get a Saitek AV8R USB functioning in W95 (USB1 is fully funtional in this rig). Legacy drivers for the similar "Aviator" model install but the stick isn't recognized or functional in any way. Appears some post-W95 dll's are needed. I have a serial version (in storage alas), so this may not get sorted out until later in the summer.

Last year I winnowed down my legacy PC builds and for mid-late 1990s (age of Glide) I'm rolling with a W95c, P3-667(@500, locked 5x multi), Abit BH6(@100fsb), QDI Legend Rendition 2200-8mb, Diamond Voodoo2-12mb, 384 ssd ram (may reduce to 256), Montego Vortex2 @ daughtercard, (2x) 80gb WD HDs. I've installed and configured just about every game so far and the system is sharp and perky. W95c is underappreciated I think. The OS upgrades add in just enough of the creature comforts of W98+ like all cap files, easy file navigation etc.

Reply 5 of 9, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote on 2020-06-10, 16:29:

Was searching for W95 drivers for the Saitek Aviator (if there is one)

This "v 1.0" CD only contains XP. Pic below.

In the meantime I'm trying to get a Saitek AV8R USB functioning in W95 (USB1 is fully funtional in this rig). Legacy drivers for the similar "Aviator" model install...

AV8R and Aviator are different? Man... I am just never going to get the different models sorted out with Saitek.

What I thought was correct was a PC-only AV8R ~2006, then the PC/360 and PC/PS3 pair ~2008. And Saitek seemed to used 'Aviator' or 'AV8R' for these as it pleased them. Like the Profile table that lists all the sticks only lists AV8R. Oh, and there is also a Pacific Aviator, but that may be just dress-up. I haven't checked.

... and actually my PS41 PC/360 unit here is indeed labled as both, now that I look.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 9, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote on 2020-06-16, 17:39:
This "v 1.0" CD only contains XP. Pic below. […]
Show full quote
tincup wrote on 2020-06-10, 16:29:

Was searching for W95 drivers for the Saitek Aviator (if there is one)

This "v 1.0" CD only contains XP. Pic below.

In the meantime I'm trying to get a Saitek AV8R USB functioning in W95 (USB1 is fully funtional in this rig). Legacy drivers for the similar "Aviator" model install...

AV8R and Aviator are different? Man... I am just never going to get the different models sorted out with Saitek.

What I thought was correct was a PC-only AV8R ~2006, then the PC/360 and PC/PS3 pair ~2008. And Saitek seemed to used 'Aviator' or 'AV8R' for these as it pleased them. Like the Profile table that lists all the sticks only lists AV8R. Oh, and there is also a Pacific Aviator, but that may be just dress-up. I haven't checked.

... and actually my PS41 PC/360 unit here is indeed labled as both, now that I look.

Cool. I think they are essentially the same stick and drivers should work for either. Nice controller to - the twist rudder function has really grown on me as well.

The dilemma I face is that USB controller are no go on W95 of any flavor. You can enable the mass-storage/thumb drive function but that's about it. I was combing through a readme in an R Loew W95 USB driver kit looking for help (his memory limit patch is great BTW) and he states that exhaustive attemps could not get USB controllers (or devices for that matter) to work in W95. So that settles it for me. I'll pivot towards a serial stick like the Cyborg 2000. Unfortuanately mine is in storage a ways away right now...

Reply 7 of 9, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote on 2020-06-17, 00:10:

The dilemma I face is that USB controller are no go on W95 of any flavor. You can enable the mass-storage/thumb drive function but that's about it. I was combing through a readme in an R Loew W95 USB driver kit looking for help (his memory limit patch is great BTW) and he states that exhaustive attemps could not get USB controllers (or devices for that matter) to work in W95. So that settles it for me. I'll pivot towards a serial stick like the Cyborg 2000. Unfortuanately mine is in storage a ways away right now...

That's good to know it's settled. Thank you.

Since you're looking at late gameport sticks with twist, also check out MS Sidewinder Precision Pro & Force Feedback Pro . I base that on the USB P2 & FFB2 that followed them. The build and perfomance on these is wonderful. I love my Saiteks as artwork, but I use my FFB2.

..and the awful 90's Redmond-StarTrek look is starting to grow on me. It's kinda looking "original batmobile" now, and goes with the black MS Ergo keyboard.

EDIT

Cool. I think they are essentially the same stick and drivers should work for either. Nice controller to - the twist rudder function has really grown on me as well.

I should say the PC/360 stick is a different beast. The spring forces feel totally wrong, making it impossible to use until you accidently hold it right. It's designed to be held in two hands, resting on your lap, leaned back in a recliner. One hand around that weird full-width throttle, other around the sick.

Night & day difference. I can see why Marketing chose not to promote the correct 'posture', but it turns out to be required knowledge. These aren't desk-sticks.

Reply 8 of 9, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote on 2020-06-17, 13:59:
That's good to know it's settled. Thank you. […]
Show full quote
tincup wrote on 2020-06-17, 00:10:

That's good to know it's settled. Thank you.

Since you're looking at late gameport sticks with twist, also check out MS Sidewinder Precision Pro & Force Feedback Pro . I base that on the USB P2 & FFB2 that followed them. The build and perfomance on these is wonderful. I love my Saiteks as artwork, but I use my FFB2.

..and the awful 90's Redmond-StarTrek look is starting to grow on me. It's kinda looking "original batmobile" now, and goes with the black MS Ergo keyboard.

EDIT

I should say the PC/360 stick is a different beast. The spring forces feel totally wrong, making it impossible to use until you accidently hold it right. It's designed to be held in two hands, resting on your lap, leaned back in a recliner. One hand around that weird full-width throttle, other around the sick.

Night & day difference. I can see why Marketing chose not to promote the correct 'posture', but it turns out to be required knowledge. These aren't desk-sticks.

OK, I probably misunderstood you. It's the Aviator and AV8R (both USB) that I'd say are essentially the same. The driver for one works with the other if memory serves. And they are desktop sticks with very nice control and more than your typical number of programmable buttons for a non-HOTAS stick. While I don't care for the futurist styling they aren't actualy ugly like lots of other sticks (most). I gravitated to the Saitek twist line because of the quality of response, best implementation of twist rudder and easy programming software. I didn't care for the Wingman much. Ideally I'd custom fit a TM or SunCom military stick handle onto a Saitek chassis.

Reply 9 of 9, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote on 2020-06-17, 14:49:

OK, I probably misunderstood you. It's the Aviator and AV8R (both USB) that I'd say are essentially the same.

Yup! Got that, agreed with it. I was adding as a "by the way" the info about the PC/360 being a suprisingly different beast from the PC-only model.