VOGONS

Topic actions

First post, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last edited by kithylin on 2017-12-13, 21:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 12, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To get the hardware id under 98SE/ME/95/ open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\PCI
You'll see all PCI hardware id's. Just click each of them, till you see VGA stuff pop up to the right.
No need for XP at all.

Reply 5 of 12, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's the same deal in Win2000/XP/Vista/7/8.1/10, but it's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI
That's where XP+ Device Manager gets its IDs. It's not Voodoo magic!
Well...Voodoo magic will happen if you delete this registry key, but that's only if you're brave!

Reply 7 of 12, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's simply looking at the values, no modifying/deleting/adding.

If you really don't want to use regedit, try this command in the Run box under 9x:

hwinfo /ui

IF you dig into it, you'll find the ID there as well.

Reply 8 of 12, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
This will be a tutorial for educating folks on how to add entries to various nvidia drivers for their video card(s). […]
Show full quote

This will be a tutorial for educating folks on how to add entries to various nvidia drivers for their video card(s).

First off: Why would anyone want to do this?
----------------------------------------------------------
Things you will need:
1.) Favorite text editor (I suggest Notepad++ old version 3.xx, the newer versions suck and are terrible.)

Hmm I'm using Notepad from XP although probably the same as in Windows 2000. But what specific version is 3.XX and what version is Notepad++ as I've only known Notepad which I think exists in 3.1, 95, 98, and probably ME as well. NT 4.0 probably has it and earlier but I haven't had one installed in ages.

Interesting write up since I've been doing the same thing for XP drivers that weren't written for newer graphics cards. It's a little more complicated and usually doesn't end up working. But also there are Intel HD drivers for XP that don't work since Haswell started so I'm curious if you've attempted getting any Intel HD drivers to work on XP or Windows 2000 or even Windows 98SE?

Also I noticed this is mainly focused on nVidia but have you tried testing their counterpart the Ati or Amd graphics cards to see if their version is just as powerful or working using this technique for ones that also stopped producing Windows 98 drivers for their PCIe variety?

Reply 10 of 12, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No you have to extract the drivers and use the device manager method to install the .inf files. This is the same as nVidia. Check the Temp directory when it expands the file. Usually it extracts the file to a directory of your choosing first. It's when you run its .exe file that's when you are probably talking about some hardware scan if it does one first before starting. Personally I always install the drivers for the graphics cards by extracting the folder containing just the necessary driver files and manually install it. This applies to nVidia and Intel HD as well. Usually the actual setup program is bloated and just there to help guide you and ask if you want to install all that extra BS on top.

I was only curious if you tested any ATI ones with your mods as they also provide 98 graphics drivers. As to whether ATI or nVidia had the best 98 graphics card that works I'm not entirely sure but I think the nVidia might have the slight edge there but there are a lot of ATI ones that have passive heatsinks and are single slot compared to nVidia which usually had fans or hogged more than one slot space. I know there are some fanboys of one or the other but I'm open to either.

Notepad++ sounds like nifty program. I usually just use the generic notepad because I like to save my files to standard text files that can be opened even in DOS and thanks to Quicklaunch it's just a quick click and it's open.

Reply 12 of 12, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
95DosBox wrote:

No you have to extract the drivers and use the device manager method to install the .inf files. This is the same as nVidia.

Sorry but no. If you follow my instructions and do it correctly, you just run setup.exe and it installs normally with the modified inf file. No device manager, no manual installation, everything normally. That's the entire point.

I was referring to how you would go about to extract the Ati driver files that did the hardware checking you mentioned. 😀