VOGONS

First post, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

<rubbing eyes and laughing>

Any of you guys running Tomb Raider + Voodoo Rush patch in DOS (let's say Windows 98 with BootGui=0)?

I pulled out the original Tomb Raider, did a quick install, dropped the Voodoo Rush patch in the directory, dropped some driver files in there - glide2x.ovl, etc. Launching Tomb.exe gives me "Fatal error: Unable to load DLL." Googling around didn't seem to point out that I was doing anything out of the ordinary.

I am using a system I picked up as a quick test bench - including the existing Windows 98 (4.10.2222) on it with bootgui=0.

I just wanted to mess around with this card a bit before potentially throwing it into my P200 MMX system. Figured I would try Tomb Raider in DOS but no dice. Software mode with original EXE is fine. Thoughts?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 1 of 13, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try using a normal Voodoo patch instead of Voodoo Rush.

Also, remember that later Voodoo 3 (and maybe your Banshee card) drivers only run under Windows DOS command.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 13, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey there, Zup. I appreciate your reply.

Good point. I forgot to add the question of if "pure DOS Banshee Tomb Raider" is even feasible. Was figuring I would eventually put a Voodoo 1 in the 200 MMX system, but the Banshee (PCI) card fell into my lap - so I decided to see what I could do with it. It didn't seem to work after I got the Banshee drivers installed in Windows, either - but I only tried it once & rather early in my troubleshooting process.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 3 of 13, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I couldn't get Tomb Raider (1) to work with my Voodoo2 card either, no matter what environment variables I put in, restart in DOS mode, nothing I put in CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT, or DOSSTART.BAT helped. It only worked in software rendering mode.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 4 of 13, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:

I couldn't get Tomb Raider (1) to work with my Voodoo2 card either, no matter what environment variables I put in, restart in DOS mode, nothing I put in CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT, or DOSSTART.BAT helped. It only worked in software rendering mode.

Have you tried it with the Voodoo Rush patch? Should go using glide2x.ovl v3.03.00 (6/1999) without much further configuration. Though the Voodoo Graphics patch should also work with the right environment variables, and it's preferable if it works because it actually draws Lara's shadow. With fast machines, the basic toolset includes trying various OVL versions, and lower FSB and CPU speeds.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 5 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V3, TR and Voodoo Rush patch work just fine under pure MS-DOS. I've tried this many times. Never tried the Banshee though.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 13, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

V3, TR and Voodoo Rush patch work just fine under pure MS-DOS. I've tried this many times. Never tried the Banshee though.

The TR1 voodoo patch does work with the Banshee as that's what I've had in my DOS build for a while until it decided to go a little faulty, I'd been using the Voodoo patch from the Tomb raider + unfinished business discs, also works with voodoo 2.

Reply 7 of 13, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
firage wrote:

Have you tried it with the Voodoo Rush patch? Should go using glide2x.ovl v3.03.00 (6/1999) without much further configuration. Though the Voodoo Graphics patch should also work with the right environment variables, and it's preferable if it works because it actually draws Lara's shadow. With fast machines, the basic toolset includes trying various OVL versions, and lower FSB and CPU speeds.

I tried it with both patches. I got nada. The system would black screen and lock up. The Voodoo patch got me as far as the first two FMVs for EIDOS and stuff, but then would crash when trying to enter the 3D menu, before you could even start the game.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 10 of 13, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could you post your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat contents? IIRC there should be some enviroment variables set in the autoexec.bat, there is for the Voodoo 2, but not 100% sure if they are needed for the banshee

Reply 11 of 13, by Spaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
synrgy87 wrote:

Could you post your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat contents? IIRC there should be some enviroment variables set in the autoexec.bat, there is for the Voodoo 2, but not 100% sure if they are needed for the banshee

I am away at the moment and won't have access to my retro rig before the start of July. But, I have not specified any 3dfx environment variables at all in my config files. Just made a separate boot menu entry that omits EMM386 on start.

Reply 12 of 13, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You may have tried this already, given you've said you have tried modifying config.sys, but have you tried modifying the command.com spec to increase the environment variable memory space? I found I had to do this with my Voodoo2 so that all of the environment variables would set correctly.

E.g.:

shell=c:\command.com /E:1024

Reply 13 of 13, by jice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I see this subject popping up in Google I want to tell my success here:
* DOS 6.22
* Voodoo Banshee

I had the same problem initially, with the glide2.ovl I had in the time, I just upgraded it to a more recent version and it works.
Downloaded it from here: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1 … 2&menustate=2,1

Also for TR not to freeze when accessing the inventory, I have an entry in my config.sys with no EMS, only XMS (i.e. only himem.sys, no emm386.exe).
Got it from Philscomputerlab: "A note regarding MS-DOS mode. I observed that when EMS memory is configured the game will crash when accessing the inventory. Loading MS-DOS mode with XMS memory addresses this issue." - https://www.philscomputerlab.com/tomb-raider.html

Now it works flawlessly.