VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
i use Toshiba DVD RW + Conroe 865 (Sata port only are enable, DISC Controlled in Enhanced mode), Win98 working fine (with paid Sata patch), but have problem to find CD-ROM driver for DOS dos, HDDs are working fine all FAT32 partitions are visible..

Update:
Freedos driver not working - no Sata controller found and vanilla Windows 98 do not work too - not drive, drive is working fine in Windows 98.. Its probably problem of that enhanced controller mode, but when i set IDE, controller dont find my Sata III SSD, so i have too.

If exist virtual cd rom for dos, i can use it too.

Last edited by ruthan on 2017-09-04, 21:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 2 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did, this is what i meant by Freedos driver.

So me pictures about BIOS settings, its Win98+DOS/WinXP/Win7 machine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/slrusz1gizx3ca3/201 … .10.02.jpg?dl=0
2017-09-05%2000.10.02.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kre2jtosuld16og/201 … .10.15.jpg?dl=0
2017-09-05%2000.10.15.jpg?dl=0

Im adding pictures url too, because it seems that Dropbox embedding is not working for now.

All CD-ROM are auto, for example is UDMA5 still ok?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What mode is your controller in? If it supports AHCI mode, you can also use HP's AHCI driver.
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/trans … vxbVHiSw#SATACD

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What mode is your controller in? If it supports AHCI mode, you can also use HP's AHCI driver.
https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... iSw#SATACD

Is sort of Sata - in Win98 i have to use Sata driver, but could be some first implementation..

There only *.sys file, which autoexec and config parameters should be used for them?

Last edited by ruthan on 2017-09-04, 22:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have an option to use either IDE, AHCI, or RAID mode for your SATA ports?

Reply 6 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No really only that Enhanced mode, which is SATA otherwise its not booting from SATA III system SSD.

I understand it right my board has Intel ICH5 and Sata drivers are ICH6+..
http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/conroe865pe/ - SPECS

gcdrom.sys - SATA Native IDE CD/DVD-ROM driver (Supports Intel ICH6/ICH7/ICH8, JMicron 361/363/368, NVidia CK804/MCP55/MCP51...(may not work with PATA)
device=gcdrom.sys /d:MSCD001 /C0

Reply 7 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Note: AHCI modes likely will not work as ICH5(R) predates the AHCI standard. ICH6 can operate in a mode which resembles the ICH5 command scheme, but gcdrom almost certainly uses the AHCI interface to talk to SATA controllers. I'm guessing "Enhanced" mode is native ICH5 while "not Enhanced" mode is IDE emulation.

If you can't use IDE emulation, I think your best option is to get a SATA to IDE converter. They're cheap and fast. Don't get one that uses a floppy power connector.

Mine looks like this one:
$_12.JPG

Reply 8 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally have managed get it working with gcdrom.sys, i had some stupid last drive switch in config (i completely forgot such thing exist) in example line was X as drive letter.

In my config sys from Hirens boot cd site:
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM

in my Autoexec.bat:
MSCDEX.EXE /D:CDROM /L:E // E is for drive letter

At least eject button is not working and no CD audio - but its probably it has not audio cable and digital audio is not working in DOS.

Reply 9 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote:

I finally have managed get it working with gcdrom.sys, i had some stupid last drive switch in config (i completely forgot such thing exist) in example line was X as drive letter.

Fantastic!

ruthan wrote:

At least eject button is not working and no CD audio - but its probably it has not audio cable and digital audio is not working in DOS.

Some utilities, particularly DOS CD audio players, can eject an optical drive using ATAPI commands or via calls to MSCDEX. Also, most SATA optical drives depend on digital audio extraction for Redbook playback. Unlike Windows, DOS drivers don't provide an interface for this.

Reply 10 of 16, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you insist on using DOS on such a system, get a standard PATA IDE optical drive. They are not as rare as one may think.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted to have Sata only system, so IDE DVD-RW and IDE to sata adapter is probably better than IDE CD-ROM connected to IDE controller, if adapter wound be stable.

I still have 3 black IDE DVDs drives in the drawer.

I only wonder about 3rd port on them, is on 1 described as Digital (pin DO and G) and on second as reserved. Could it be used? I have Creative !live CT4830 soundcard.

Back to GCDROM.SYS where to find last version, i donwloaded Freedos cd and scanned even archives and no match? I could have older version..

Regardless thanks for help.

Reply 12 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The "Digital" port is 5V TTL level SPDIF signal. You can run it into an SPDIF input header common to many PCI sound cards, or any 5V tolerant SPDIF coax in port.

Reply 13 of 16, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote:

I wanted to have Sata only system, so IDE DVD-RW and IDE to sata adapter is probably better than IDE CD-ROM connected to IDE controller, if adapter wound be stable.

Sorry, I missed that. Somehow I only read the '865' and I didn't think there were any Intel 865 systems with no IDE connectors...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 14 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im still waiting for IDE (DVD drive) to SATA adapter, its on the way, but i have discovered that im short of analog audio cables.. I tried to find them on eBay, but i have found only some German overpriced sellers, someone should point out Chinese guys that they should to these too..

Reply 16 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would say that it is standart, i never saw anything else and that 4 pin, its this cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GP843-CD-ROM-Internal … P4AAOSwpDdVZyON

I wonder for that is this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-MPC-2-to-JST-CD … 5kAAOSwv-NWWFxt

BTW some tested IDE (device) to Sata board convertor, that above is SATA-IDE, i know that there are adapter for both directions but are usually too big for 24/7 usage.