VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm having a strange issue with my 440BX Win98SE system that I've never before encountered on other builds.

Whenever I am copying, moving or deleting large files, or numerous files, Explorer seems to hang. Sometimes it just hangs for a few minutes, then becomes responsive, sometimes it completely messes up. While Explorer is messed up, I can actually use the Start menu, launch programs and do other stuff until it recovers, if it recovers.

I've tried to troubleshoot this problem and the only resource I could find was this page that blames it all on IE6.0 which I incidentally have installed. However, IE6.0 never caused this issue with other systems of mine.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rings a bell but I cant remember what I did.
Did you install the chipset drivers and enable DMA? I think version 3.20.1008 was the latest.

I also dont install any hotfixes, Just IE6

Reply 3 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:

Rings a bell but I cant remember what I did.
Did you install the chipset drivers and enable DMA? I think version 3.20.1008 was the latest.

I also dont install any hotfixes, Just IE6

Ding! No I didnt even know there are chipset drivers for 440BX *facepalm*

Is this necessary for 430 and 440LX chipsets as well? Never had an issue with them in 98SE possibly due to mature drivers beşng bundled with the OS I suppose.

Reply 4 of 12, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Yes, many times, due to the ie6 bug when it comes move/delete large/many files. Nowdays on win9x systems I never go beyond ie55sp2 to avoid it and ie6 is not really needed for me anymore - webpages that doesn't work with ie55 will not really work with ie6 either.

Last edited by dottoss on 2018-03-28, 14:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dottoss wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Yes, many times, due to the ie6 bug when it comes move/delete large/many files. Nowdays on win9x systems I never go beyond ie55sp2 to avoid it and ie6 is not really needed for me anymore - Webpages that doesn't work with ie55 will not really work with ie6 either.

Interesting how this does not happen with my 430TX K6-2 system, though.

Reply 6 of 12, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Interesting how this does not happen with my 430TX K6-2 system, though.

Perhaps, but the bug was never really disclosed by Microsoft, nor fixed. Who knows how it really works. I can tell you though, sooner or later, it always happens for me. Not all file operations triggers it, but most of them do. I do image archiving on all my cd-roms on my Win9x box, and the files is usually between 500-700mb and it usually happens with ie6 installed 9 out 10 times when i move/copy/delete the image file to my various NAS solutions and when deleting the file on the local storage on the win9x. If i delete a gamefolder, with somewhat many files in it, it usually also triggers it.

Last edited by dottoss on 2018-03-28, 13:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 8 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dottoss wrote:

Perhaps this resource can satisfy your curiosity - https://msfn.org/board/topic/84451-98-fe-98-s … shell32dll-fix/

Many thanks, downloaded and will install this patch tonight.

I will also install the Intel Chipset Drivers and this patch on my 430TX system as well. 😎

30 years after the fact, I have found out about and the solution, to possibly the most annoying bug in Win98SE. I probably did not suffer this because I moved to Win2K by the time IE6 was around (and I probably never bothered installing that, as I was a Netscape guy..)

Reply 10 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alexclaudiu2003 wrote on 2022-10-29, 18:01:

All links are dead, does anyone have one for windows me: SHELLME.EXE

https://web.archive.org/web/20210506072831/ht … les/SHELLME.EXE