VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
i was fiddling with Fallout Dos patched to 1.1 on new fast machine - X58 + Yamaha 744 soundcard.

I find out strange thing, i have installed game in Dosbox from CD - max install and patched, in Dosbox is running fine..
I tried to remove cd mount, its running fine multiple times, but..

When i moved games to real pure Dos machine and i was getting some DOS4WG segmentation fault OEh errors.. not other older Core+SB !Live machine it was fine(!repeably and its exactly same binary), i dig in..
and found out, that when i backup and use default fallout.cfg which is created during installation game is running fine on new machine, but only once..
i found out that after game start or sound setup start is changed fallout.cfg and lots of new parameters added..
i tried to find out problematic parameters, which are generating crash these are:

cycle_speed_factor=1
times_run=1
music_path2=E:\data\sound\music\

I checked that on that on cd are exactly the same music files which are in game folder and checked some no cd version, there is used same path for music_path1 and music_path2 and its working. When i remove music_path2 from working its working too.

When i try to add any of these variable to cfg game is crashing, same when i change cd patch to real game patch game as music_patch1..

Workaround - when i set setting how i want, remove these 3 lines, or 2 lines and let music_path + set fallout.cfg to read only, game is working even after 1st start. I also tried to change times_run to =2, its not helping..

So its working, except settings which are not saved.., but.. I wonder why is cfg generating probably because some value is wrong.. So is there any info to values? Is there some right setting, which will work without keep settings file read only?

I uploaded maximal working config (without 2 problematic variables) - path is file are machine specific and could be changed to relative ones.

Filename
FALLOUT.CFG
File size
1.07 KiB
Downloads
90 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Config from Core2:

Filename
FALLOUT-Core2.CFG
File size
1.1 KiB
Downloads
48 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Update: I tried X58 files + magic variable file in Dosbox its working, so probably no any typo involved.. Yeah some variables has not same value, i played with free_space but it seems to have a effect..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.