VOGONS

First post, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well i don't know about you, but i have a special nostalgia on MSN Messenger, i used it every single day from the version 6 until the 2012 release.
Researching about MSN i came across Escargot MSN Server, just a disclaimer, i have nothing to do with this project, i'm just a person who thought that was a cool idea.
https://escargot.log1p.xyz/ is the home page, they provide pre-patched installers so you can install it, create an account and enjoy the nostalgia, or you can download the official releases and patch it yourself.
About the safety of your conversation, well i can't say for sure but i wouldn't send sensitive information over, but is a cool thing to have in your 98/XP box to talk with your friends.
What you guys think about?

How to Install on Windows 98 SE
Video Tutorial: https://youtu.be/t7y_OqpF6jI
Warning:This version uses insecure login methods, don't use a password that you use elsewhere.

• Download the messenger installer version 4.6.0071 in your language.
    List of MSN Messenger installers https://archive.org/details/MsnMessengerClients2
  • Create a .reg file with the following content
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MessengerService\]
    "Server"="m1.escargot.log1p.xyz"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\]
    "Server"="m1.escargot.log1p.xyz"
  • Execute the reg file to add those keys to the registry.
  • If you don't have an account register at https://escargot.log1p.xyz/
  • Done

Installing on Windows XP

• Download the 8.5 version.
  • Install
  • Disable on internet options all SSL leaving only TLS.
    Note:Apparently some POS2009 update may make this work normally, i didn't tested

Installing on Windows 7

• Download the 8.5 version(i older versions may work too, but i tested only with 8.5).
  • Install
  • If you downloaded an unpatched release you will need an Hex Editor to patch the file(s), detailed instructions on the project page.
Last edited by .legaCy on 2019-01-30, 23:58. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 2 of 29, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rubix wrote:

This is very cool, thanks for sharing! This will give me the chance of reliving the really old MSN experience with the old small smilies....

Yesterday i tried to install the 7.0 6.0 and 5.0 version on windows 98 and the installer wouldn't work on Windows 98, maybe with kernelex or any update to windows installer it will install.
When i get some time i will try, otherwise i guess it would require XP.

Edit: its working on xp now, instructions on the first post.

Last edited by .legaCy on 2018-09-26, 05:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 29, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very interesting. My friends and I have been looking for a new chat client for a while after Yahoo! made a complete cluster of its chat client way back. If this works then returning to good old msn messenger would be just fine by us.

Any idea of compatibility with Win10 x64?

Reply 4 of 29, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gca wrote:

Very interesting. My friends and I have been looking for a new chat client for a while after Yahoo! made a complete cluster of its chat client way back. If this works then returning to good old msn messenger would be just fine by us.

Any idea of compatibility with Win10 x64?

Never tried on a modern system, i think that it should work, but please use it with caution, i don't have a clue about the security of the server, like when creating a account don't use a password that you use elsewhere, don't chat about sensitive topics like banking info, credit card, accounts and passwords,etc...
But for a occasional chat with some buddies that are into retro hardware/software/gaming it is a REALLY nice option.

Reply 5 of 29, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting, heh... 😉 Tried MSN 1.0 on initial Windows 95 (non OSR) - all ok! MSN plugin in Miranda 0.8 won't work no matter what account type used - secured or not. On the other hand ICQ still works too in Miranda builds up to 0.10 branch on that system.

Reply 6 of 29, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
.legaCy wrote:

About the safety of your conversation, well i can't say for sure but i wouldn't send sensitive information over, but is a cool thing to have in your 98/XP box to talk with your friends.

You're fairly guaranteed to accumulate sensitive information in discussions with your friends.

Reply 7 of 29, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understand and agree with your security concerns and believe me we know much better than to discuss anything of that nature over an insecure comms line. If anything sensitive like that needs to change hands it gets encrypted before being sent by other means.

Reply 8 of 29, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

now this patch is something.
I wonder why the M$ ever dropped the support for that program (in favour to screw up skype as a next thing?) -)
The same way could be also to patch the old skype (versions 3.xxx) as to set up the alternative servers?

ALso, there is possibility to make simple VOIP client remake- retro compatible voice client. For a small scale network it works as a replacement for ventrilo and no harm done if it is with just a couple users.

I got the result this way: The Directx 8.1 SDK package and Visual Studio 6, and compiled together the simplest voice project over internet project. 2 programs - the server, and the client.
After some tweaks about IP numbers on the LAN it was running already with 2 nodes and 1 server. also tested up to winxp. The sound quality with that packing algorithm was fair enough. And that was the simplest example program!

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 10 of 29, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vvbee wrote:
.legaCy wrote:

You're fairly guaranteed to accumulate sensitive information in discussions with your friends.

Sure but i don't see a problem if you chat something that you would publish on a forum, or it is public like sending an multiplayer game ip address so your friend can join.

jxalex wrote:
now this patch is something. I wonder why the M$ ever dropped the support for that program (in favour to screw up skype as a […]
Show full quote

now this patch is something.
I wonder why the M$ ever dropped the support for that program (in favour to screw up skype as a next thing?) -)
The same way could be also to patch the old skype (versions 3.xxx) as to set up the alternative servers?

ALso, there is possibility to make simple VOIP client remake- retro compatible voice client. For a small scale network it works as a replacement for ventrilo and no harm done if it is with just a couple users.

I got the result this way: The Directx 8.1 SDK package and Visual Studio 6, and compiled together the simplest voice project over internet project. 2 programs - the server, and the client.
After some tweaks about IP numbers on the LAN it was running already with 2 nodes and 1 server. also tested up to winxp. The sound quality with that packing algorithm was fair enough. And that was the simplest example program!

I think i have read something about old skype being patched, but since i have no interest in skype i didn't bother to dive in and get more details.

About coding one VOIP program i guess it wouldn't be worth a hassle, but i guess a poll would answer that.

oeuvre wrote:

This is really cool! I never used MSN though, was more of an AIM guy.

I see, some countries adopted AIM, but here in Brazil MSN Messenger dominated, but watching LGR Tech Tales about AOL i can see why in US for example AIM dominated.

Reply 12 of 29, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
flecom wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

was more of an AIM guy.

same! was thinking of setting up a public AIM (OSCAR) server (people have written 3rd party OSCAR servers) but wasn't sure if anyone would care?

I would use AIM if i had contacts.

Reply 14 of 29, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Too bad they shut down their AIM servers.

flecom wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

was more of an AIM guy.

same! was thinking of setting up a public AIM (OSCAR) server (people have written 3rd party OSCAR servers) but wasn't sure if anyone would care?

Microsoft shut down MSN too, but Escargot made it live again, i'm pretty sure that a project like Escargot could be done with AIM too.

Reply 16 of 29, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

alright... I joined too. How many of us are now together there with this patch? 😀 I think it is pretty private place there as a corner of our own.
Any IRC channel somewhere ... do we have too?

come on lets socialize this way then. So far the ones who talk about retro computing are all here (whom I dont know yet).

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 17 of 29, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jxalex wrote:

alright... I joined too. How many of us are now together there with this patch? 😀 I think it is pretty private place there as a corner of our own.
Any IRC channel somewhere ... do we have too?

come on lets socialize this way then. So far the ones who talk about retro computing are all here (whom I dont know yet).

Currently i'm not having a lot of time to play with retro stuff, but if someone is interested i have my escargot address on my profile 😀

Reply 18 of 29, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As much as I would love to use this, but I'm 2 years shy of 40. I don't have friends who use Chat Clients anymore. 🙁 It sucked being the computer geek out of the jocks. Even though I was a jock as well. 🤣 But this app brings back lots of memories!

Reply 19 of 29, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rodimus80 wrote:

As much as I would love to use this, but I'm 2 years shy of 40. I don't have friends who use Chat Clients anymore. 🙁 It sucked being the computer geek out of the jocks. Even though I was a jock as well. 🤣 But this app brings back lots of memories!

well, they have communities and discord server about the project, as far as i know there are plenty of new people to chat with.