VOGONS

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the Master CD that I think should allow me to restore this Legend 10CD that I am redoing. I bought a brand new HDD (old stock 420MB Western Digital), but I k ow I will need a boot disk for CD-ROM support. My Panasonic drive connects to the sound card interface, will a standard Windows 95 or 98SE or ME boot disk see this drive? Or will I need a special Packard Bell boot disk? Any help would be great as I want to start the restore tomorrow. Thanks!!!

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm guessing this is the Panasonic interface and not standard IDE interface on the soundcard?
If its the Panasonic interface you will need a boot disk, but you will need to swap the the standard ide cd rom driver (commonly something like VIDE-CDD.SYS) with one for a Panasonic drive (sbcd.sys was a common one)

In both cases you'll also probably need to modify some of the mscdex switches to force it to look on the sound card. the details will depend on the sound card's resources from memory.
(or if you can find a dos install disk for your drive you can just copy the lines it enters in autoexec/config.sys)