VOGONS

First post, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

I'm trying to run Sims 1 on my retro PC the coppermine pentium 3 677MHz with GeForce FX 5500 (Pretty much CPU bottleneck 🤣) and 256mb of RAM, so far when I'm on home everything were running fine till I go out and there are a lot of sims in game I got a big lag when moving around and speeding up. So do I need 1ghz pentium 3 for that? also I'm planning to play old DOS games too like doom and full throttle so I'm not sure if 1Ghz cpu will break the compatibility. also I have the asus cuv4x-c, will it has some compatibility issue with the mobo too? I'm kinda new to building retro PC, because back then my parents were just bought an OEM PCs for me till 2009 😜

Thanks!

PS. I forgot to say I'm running complete edition. with all expansions of course.

Reply 1 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pote2639 wrote:

PS. I forgot to say I'm running complete edition. with all expansions of course.

That would do it! This poor overfeaturecreeped Sims expansion performance is normal behavior (and is pretty much a way of life regarding that franchise anyway). You'd probably need a Northwood or A64 for all that.

The bloat's quite a shame as the original game was very playable on even late Pentiums.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 9, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
pote2639 wrote:

That would do it! This poor overfeaturecreeped Sims expansion performance is normal behavior (and is pretty much a way of life regarding that franchise anyway). You'd probably need a Northwood or A64 for all that.

The bloat's quite a shame as the original game was very playable on even late Pentiums.

I still remember playing the game fine on my pentium mmx with just 1-2 expansions! I thought the "overbloated-and-make-performance-worse" sims thingy wasn't there till sims 2, oh well guess I'd better running it on my modern PC then (which actually running way better but some compatibility issues on Windows 10) as I also want to run all my DOS games on my retro PC.

Reply 3 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the future you will want to post questions involving retro hardware in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android This one is for help with old Windows games using newer hardware and OSs.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 9, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to plat the base game and the living large expansion pack on a celeron 300, it was slow to load at the startup but afterwards households with 3 sims(i don't have the coordination to control more sims) would run nicely.
o a Athlon XP 2400+ i played the game with all the expansion packs and i don't recall lagging.
i really don't think that an A64 is needed to run the sims(with all expansion packs) properly, i can test it on my pentium 3 build to see if i notice lags.

Reply 6 of 9, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
.legaCy wrote:

I used to plat the base game and the living large expansion pack on a celeron 300, it was slow to load at the startup but afterwards households with 3 sims(i don't have the coordination to control more sims) would run nicely.
o a Athlon XP 2400+ i played the game with all the expansion packs and i don't recall lagging.
i really don't think that an A64 is needed to run the sims(with all expansion packs) properly, i can test it on my pentium 3 build to see if i notice lags.

Yeah I'm pretty sure pentium 3 1ghz could handle it, or early pentium 4. I also had an AMD pc (but it's on my grandma's home right now) and I can play sims 2 with 2-3 expansion, otherwise the game's wall glitched out because my crappy GPU can't take it anymore ;P it was Sempron I think? and some Trident GPU)

If you happen to have pentium 3 1ghz PC or better could you kindly test it for me, if it runs better I would upgrade it. thanks!

Reply 7 of 9, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pote2639 wrote:
.legaCy wrote:

Yeah I'm pretty sure pentium 3 1ghz could handle it, or early pentium 4. I also had an AMD pc (but it's on my grandma's home right now) and I can play sims 2 with 2-3 expansion, otherwise the game's wall glitched out because my crappy GPU can't take it anymore ;P it was Sempron I think? and some Trident GPU)

If you happen to have pentium 3 1ghz PC or better could you kindly test it for me, if it runs better I would upgrade it. thanks!

Sure, sorry for taking too long to answer, i will post here, currently i don't have all the expansion packs, i will the get those expansion packs that are missing and i will test and give a feedback to you.

Edit: okay seems like some of my old the sims cd's went bad, i'm working around the issue.

Edit2: i ordered a complete edition of the sims, it should be delivered by the end of the week

Edit3: i got the cd, turned out to be a pirated copy and i got my money refunded, anyway the install works on XP however it crashes on 98 so i can't test, if anyone know how to fix the access violation i can test

Reply 8 of 9, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
.legaCy wrote:
Sure, sorry for taking too long to answer, i will post here, currently i don't have all the expansion packs, i will the get thos […]
Show full quote
pote2639 wrote:
.legaCy wrote:

Sure, sorry for taking too long to answer, i will post here, currently i don't have all the expansion packs, i will the get those expansion packs that are missing and i will test and give a feedback to you.

Edit: okay seems like some of my old the sims cd's went bad, i'm working around the issue.

Edit2: i ordered a complete edition of the sims, it should be delivered by the end of the week

Edit3: i got the cd, turned out to be a pirated copy and i got my money refunded, anyway the install works on XP however it crashes on 98 so i can't test, if anyone know how to fix the access violation i can test

Hm I actually have the pir*** copy of sims 1, since all of my discs are also broken. the game is running fine on Windows 98 though. also not sure if it the right place to talk about it, guess not

Reply 9 of 9, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pote2639 wrote:

Hm I actually have the pir*** copy of sims 1, since all of my discs are also broken. the game is running fine on Windows 98 though. also not sure if it the right place to talk about it, guess not

I didn't had all the expansion packs, just had the base game, living large,hot date, all legitimate copies, but my hot date disc kind of has mold, it appears to be stuck between the plastic and the top layer.
i will test on another windows 98 box later just to see if is the OS or any component in my P3 build that crashes the game.