VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thought it could be interesting to share tweaks and software that enhances Windows 98SE or is otherwise useful for retro gaming. DOS tweaks for retro gaming is a well documented topic, but I couldn't find anything similar for Win9x.

I'll start, though my list wouldn't be extensive for sure. Really hope others will share theirs!

TotalCommander

I host a local FTP server at home that is accessible by all of my retro machines. It stores drivers, software, game disk images and so on. So a proper FTP client is really the first thing I install on every build I work on. Thankfully, TotalCommander supports Win9x to this day, and you can even download 16-bit version for Windows 3.11 from the official site.

SG TCP/IP Optimizer

Kind of useful for tweaking your Windows registry to get faster network transfers, though it's probably more relevant for systems newer than Socket 7.

Daemon Tools 3.47

This is the latest version of DT to support Win9x. It's a virtual CD drive that allows mounting almost all popular CD image formats without burning them.

WinImage

Really popular tool for working with floppy images. You can read them (for example, when you want to copy your original drivers floppy and upload it to Vogonsdrivers.com), write them and even extract them.

Nero Drive Speed

I try to avoid very fast 52x CD drives because they are noisy and unreliable, but if that's all you got, you can get rid of the noise by simply making the drive slower.

ImgBurn

When I started this hobby, none of my "modern" machines had a CD drive. So my only option was actually to write disks on my retro rigs. ImgBurn is the only freeware CD burning app that I know that supports Win9x and most CD image formats.

RetroZilla

If you absolutely need to browse Web on your machine, this is probably the only actively developed web browser for Win9x.

Benchmarks

Phil has a convenient selection of 3DMark and PCMark benchmarks over on his site.

Note that I'm not including Win98SE unofficial service packs because they always gave me issues (for some reason they mess up the Active Desktop, so My computer can't show anything 90% of the time). I would be happy to find a vanilla compilation of all official Microsoft updates for Win98SE though.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 19, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PowerToys/TweakUI

Allows you to customize Windows behavior, configure input devices behavior and add useful context menus for Explorer, etc.
TweakUI is part of the Power Toys, which are distributed on some versions of the Windows 98 CDs only.

Reply 3 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 3.1, to run in a window. :)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 19, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Beyond Compare 2

A great program to compare, edit and merge files (text, data, dll, etc...) and folders. Version 2 is still compatible with Windows 9x.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 6 of 19, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AIDA32
Norton Partition Magic 8.x
FileZilla 2.2.22
WinImage 8.0
Windows Entertainment Pack

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7 of 19, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Everest Home 2.01

Will dig up an insane amount of information and specs about the components in your computer, whether drivers are installed or not. I'm not sure exactly how it gets the information but I used it to check the core and memory clocks, ROP\TMU organization and memory type (SDR\DDR) on tons of old ATi Rage, Nvidia TNT2 and Geforce 2 MX cards. It was extremely helpful, and as mentioned, it didn't require any drivers to be installed for the cards.

It was pretty amazing to finally figure out which cards were better than others. A fancy looking generic Geforce 2 "MX 400" with a gold heatsink that I'd used from time to time turned out to have the same specs as an MX200, despite having faster SDRAM chips. 64bit, not DDR and underclocked? Yeesh... thank you Everest for helping me to realize this before I used it in a system that actually needed the 3D performance of at least an MX400.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 8 of 19, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As a very fast program to not only edit but also to browse images, Paint Shop Pro 7 is hard to beat.

Then there's WinAMP which for me was always an essential part to the Windows 98 experience. I know WinAMP has a bit of a mixed reaction from a lot of people but nostalgia rules here.

There's Cheat Engine - older versions work in Windows 98 and it's very handy for the harder games.

To be honest, a lot of the apps I used back in the day, I would no longer use on a retro PC: NERO - why risk failing to burn CDs? MSN Messenger - defunct. ICQ - same.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 9 of 19, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote:

Note that I'm not including Win98SE unofficial service packs because they always gave me issues (for some reason they mess up the Active Desktop, so My computer can't show anything 90% of the time). I would be happy to find a vanilla compilation of all official Microsoft updates for Win98SE though.

This might be what you are looking for. http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=54,0

Reply 10 of 19, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red_avatar wrote:

As a very fast program to not only edit but also to browse images, Paint Shop Pro 7 is hard to beat.

I still use PSP 7.04 on Windows 10! Wonderful program, easy to use and has all the features I need in a paint program. It's incredible that it is still perfectly compatible with the latest version of Windows after 18 years.

Reply 12 of 19, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

7? pfft 5 is where it's at. No bloat, the brightness/gamma ops properly work,etc.

5 was good too. I remember my brother having the retail boxes for PSP5 and Bryce 2 back in 1999 or so.

PSP6 was a glitchy mess from what I remember. 7 was more stable, like 5, and had some much needed improvements over both. It's been so long (18 years?) since I started using PSP7 though, I couldn't tell you which changes I appreciated the most at the time, but I know they were significant.

Reply 15 of 19, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tannerstevo wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

This might be what you are looking for. http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=54,0

Thanks, I'll check it out!

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 16 of 19, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

for extra bling there was windowblinds for 9x and lots of taskbar skins that also covered the start menu (lurking in WWW somewhere still)

flashget download accelerator classic is still available from CNET can use its site explorer on public / password FTP
https://download.cnet.com/FlashGet-Classic/30 … 5_4-170652.html

Spybot search & destroy although all the dialup hijackers aren't around anymore theres still updates for IE and Firefox including useful HOSTS innoculation
https://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors162/

SpeedFan is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info and show hard disk temperatures. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too. SpeedFan can even change the FSB on some hardware (but this should be considered a bonus feature). SpeedFan can access digital temperature sensors and can change fan speeds accordingly, thus reducing noise. SpeedFan works fine with Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, Windows 7, 2008, Windows 8, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012. It works with Windows 64 bit too.
https://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-08-20, 12:58. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 17 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's quite a necrobump.

It seems like there have already been other threads like this, as in Generic Win98SE Installation & Setup Guide , but I will mention my favorite TClockEx again nonetheless. It's not safe to run Windows 98 without having the free system resources conveniently on display.

Reply 18 of 19, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PS2Rate

I always disliked how laggy/clunky mouse movement is on Windows98 inside PCEm/86box... until I rediscovered this tool I used back in the day. And now my G325 is as smooth as it's on the host OS! That 40Hz default refresh rate was a crime.