VOGONS

First post, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am trying to install a SCSI card in my dos rig, but whenever I load the SCSI host adapter driver for DOS, it breaks the soundblaster drivers.

System specs:
80286-12
4 MB RAM
Adaptec AHA-1520A SCSI controller
Soundblaster AWE32

The cards are not having resource conflicts, the SCSI card is set to IRQ 12, and the Soundblaster is set to IRQ 5. When the Adaptec driver loads during the config.sys execution, it results in the soundblaster driver in the Autoexec.bat portion to fail. It returns the error: "dign8002 the blaster environment settings are invalid" None of the soundblaster applications work, but the SCSI card works just fine. However, if the SCSI driver fails to load, or it is commented out in the config.sys file, the soundblaster drivers load just fine.
I am using CTCM to get the AWE32 to initialize in DOS, and it recognizes the card. However, once the SCSI driver loads, all soundblaster functions break.
I am using the Adaptec driver named "ASPI2DOS.SYS". I really have no idea what could be causing it, but it is extremely annoying. Any help is appreciated.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 2 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try a different slot for one of them.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 12, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tried different slots with no avail. I don't believe the DMA is overlapping, but I am not entirely sure how to determine what the SCSI card DMA is assigned to.

Reply 4 of 12, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.sac.sk/files.php?d=13&l=

Do a ctrl+f on that page for DOS - looks like there's a bunch of diagnostics utilities there. I see something called "DMA Finder" for example.

Reply 5 of 12, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After further investigation, it appears to be an IO conflict. When the SCSI driver is loaded and I attempt to use the soundblaster diagnose utility (diganose.exe) it fails to find the card at any of the IO addresses. This makes no sense, as the IO address it is searching is 220h, and the SCSI card is set to 190h. I have since tried a different SCSI card, and it does the same thing with it as well.

Reply 6 of 12, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, the SCSI card's presence is not the thing that is causing the conflict. It is the SCSI driver in DOS. When I comment out the driver but leave the card in the computer, it works just fine. I have tried all the DMA settings, all the IO address settings, and all the IRQ settings and the soundblaster somehow conflicts with all of them even though its settings don't overlap with the SCSI card. Does anyone know of another audio card besides the Sounblaster or the Pro Audio Spectrum that is any good? I am pretty much done with soundblasters at this point, and the Pro Audio Spectrum never worked in my 286 machine.

Reply 7 of 12, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you really need the aspi driver?
It is not needed to access the HD.
It only provides the ASPI interface, commonly used back then for CDs and tape drives.
So, if you do not use such, just save yourself the memory and run the computer without the adaptec/aspi drivers.

Reply 10 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sune Salminen wrote:

https://www.sac.sk/files.php?d=13&l=

Do a ctrl+f on that page for DOS - looks like there's a bunch of diagnostics utilities there. I see something called "DMA Finder" for example.

Sune! Don't be a stranger 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 12, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/user_guides/aha1520a_ug.pdf

Looks like the port is 340, now how big is the MPU401 range from 330
Default (it may have been changed) is no DMA... and DMA only supported on OS/2, so check the J5 jumpers

Reply 12 of 12, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Sune! Don't be a stranger 😀

😘 🤣 greetings sharpest one!

I visit and read several times a week, I'm sure there is a parallel reality where I'm buried in old PC hardware and post here all the time!
I'm trying to make a living being a musician but I still fix PCs now and then to make a little extra on the side. But nothing that's retro enough for VOGONS.

I should share the legend of my Thinkpad T61 (2008) here in detail some day. This thing survived a furious ex-wife dropping it on the floor, a $26 motherboard replacement featuring live shorting of security chip pins to circumvent "Property of US Government" lockdown (!) runs OS X Lion on occasion just because it can, as well as my virtual instruments when I play keyboards live.

S