VOGONS

First post, by HenWen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was looking for a big box version of Full Throttle (Lucasarts) on eBay and I saw system requirements that said Pentium 133MHz and 32-64MB RAM - is that for real??

Has anybody gotten it running on a lower spec PC?

Was thinking of P75/16MB...

Reply 1 of 13, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back then (1995 or so) I ran it on a Am486 DX2 66 with 12mb RAM, no issues whatsoever. I finished it on this very same machine.

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 3 of 13, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HenWen wrote:

Cool! Yeah thats what I was thinking...bizarre that they listed those system req's like that but maybe it was a re-release version I was looking at or something...

Thanks for confirming!!

No worries! I found this link that says a 486 DX 33 and 8mb RAM is the minimum requirement- https://www.computerhope.com/games/games/full.htm

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 4 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. As per the description of this forum: "Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware." Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 13, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Straight from the box 😀

ftIMG_20190504_223829.jpg
Filename
ftIMG_20190504_223829.jpg
File size
52.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 7 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HenWen wrote:

I was looking for a big box version of Full Throttle (Lucasarts) on eBay and I saw system requirements that said Pentium 133MHz and 32-64MB RAM - is that for real??

Has anybody gotten it running on a lower spec PC?

Was thinking of P75/16MB...

Pentium 133 was released in June 1995 and remained the fastest CPU in the market for almsost half ayear. Full Throttle was released in April 1995. No, the requirements can't possibly have said 133MHz and 32MB RAM; Both the Pentium 133 and the 32MB RAM were all but unheard of in 1995 except in workstation PCs.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 13, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lucasarts re-released some of their games around 2002 as Lucasarts Classics with new Windows executables for their older DOS games. I know for certain that The Dig, Full Throttle and Sam & Max got that treatment because I have them in my library. It is those versions that stated these system requirements, the originals have far lower system reqs.

Reply 9 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Garrett W wrote:

Lucasarts re-released some of their games around 2002 as Lucasarts Classics with new Windows executables for their older DOS games. I know for certain that The Dig, Full Throttle and Sam & Max got that treatment because I have them in my library. It is those versions that stated these system requirements, the originals have far lower system reqs.

I have these versions and IIRC they still have the DOS executables and work fine on original minimum requirements under DOS.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12 of 13, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Garrett W wrote:

I have these versions and IIRC they still have the DOS executables and work fine on original minimum requirements under DOS.

Yes, I should have clarified, they offer both options, although the DOS execs are usually "hidden" in additional folders.