VOGONS

First post, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I'm interested in seeing what cool file managers for dos you all use?

I'm using dosshell from dos 6x but unfortunately I have so many games and game files that it takes roughly 2 minutes to load dosshell - a pain in the macadamias each time I reboot.

Are there any file exploreres that might do some indexing or possibly only read the content list of the folders when I try to view them?

I tried xtree gold but that didn't even work as it sprung an error (probably too many files).

I have a dos game launcher someone but it's cumbersome to create separate entries for 600+ games. It's cool but i gave up after configuring the 20th game.

Thanks

Reply 3 of 20, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Volkov Commander 4.05 has never caused me any trouble, and is fully written in assembly. So small and fast.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 4 of 20, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using Norton Commander too. It was absolutely ubiquitous in Russia and CIS countries in the 90s, so that's what I grew up with. It's really feature-packed and can even work with archived files (at least with zip archives). Really solid choice and this is what I use on all of my DOS machines to this day.

Volkov Commander was pretty popular, too. It was often used on boot floppies and warez CDs because it is really light. I've never used it extensively, though, so I'm not sure about the functionality.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 8 of 20, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS Controller (dc.com) by Soren Kragh. Freeware, can be found by googling a bit. Extremely small, written in Assembler, faster than Norton Commander, less memory footprint. Does most of the stuff and has same user interface.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 9 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote:

DOS Controller (dc.com) by Soren Kragh. Freeware, can be found by googling a bit. Extremely small, written in Assembler, faster than Norton Commander, less memory footprint. Does most of the stuff and has same user interface.

Limitations:
Doesn't list some CD-ROM or RAM disks (XMSDSK).
Can't copy directories.

umm, wow

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 10 of 20, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote:

Just for the sake of the discussion, I did try this one and it is indeed very small and fast. But it's missing a very important feature which was a deal breaker for me: copying whole directories.
edit: rasz_pl beat me to that

Reply 11 of 20, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

True, the recursive copy feature is a bummer. However I managed to work around it. Under DOS you tend to have not very nested directory structures.

CD-ROM support is currently no problem for me, since my 386 doesn't have one. 😉

So dc.com is probably best for very old PCs, working off floppies and/or with limited RAM and CPU.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 12 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@ foil_fresh

1. Are you using Smartdrive ? That should speed up the loading of Dosshell quite a bit.

2. What kind of drive are you using? If a regular HDD, you can gain a whole lot of speed by changing to a fast CF card or SSD. Access times are the big factor here.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 20, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

Doesn't really matter with norton commander, as it is able to almost completely unload itself before executing any program...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 14 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are some people what work on a project called ReDOS: http://www.orbitalcrew.com/redos.html# , https://www.facebook.com/F.H.OrbitalCrew
They uploaded a boot video on facebook, I have no idea how to get a link to share but here are some shots of it, kinda looks like workbench . They said it runs all DOS software , maybe based on freedos? looks interesting.

daJ9YObl.png

bUiiHbPl.png

TM4Xs2ql.png

5ymiyOcl.png

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 20, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wow, thanks for all the reccomendations. Norton commander seems promising.

cyclone3d wrote:

@ foil_fresh

1. Are you using Smartdrive ? That should speed up the loading of Dosshell quite a bit.

2. What kind of drive are you using? If a regular HDD, you can gain a whole lot of speed by changing to a fast CF card or SSD. Access times are the big factor here.

No smartdrive (or at least I don't think so), i'll check that out. I'm using dos 7 from Win98se - is smartdrv a feature in w98?

When I wrote this post I was using CF, but my SD adapter came in the mail yesterday and reinstalling onto that tonight. it should speed things up a tiny tad.

Reply 16 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used Quickmenu III by Neosoft to orginise my old dos system. It has a file manager built and a lot of other useful utilities in it as well. Fits on a 720k floppy disk and can be used on XT class systems. To use backgrounds you'll need EMS. You can create submenus as well.Uses mouse and/or keyboard shortcuts.

02_QuikMenu_III_Weeds_Main_Menu.png
Filename
File size
57.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Quikmenu 3 is a fully graphical, icon based Dos menu. It allows you to easily create a menu for all your Dos programs and games with icons, marcos, and even phone connections! It comes with several internal utilities including a calculator, calendar, phone book, and a time log to keep track of what programs you use. It also has a easy to use, yet powerful file manager utility. Finally, you could also use Quikmenu on a network and send E-Mail right through its built in mailer!"

Disk(Unregistered) just a nag screen iirc

Filename
QuikMenu_III.zip
File size
511.77 KiB
Downloads
97 downloads
File license

Extra Icons

Filename
QuikMenu_III_Weeds_Icons_Library.zip
File size
203.09 KiB
Downloads
71 downloads
File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 17 of 20, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to rock Quikmenu3, great GUI for DOS.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 18 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like NeoSoft is passing on it's software development to an outfit in Spain. Use to have links to their old Dos stuff as well on the website but unfortunately not anymore. I got NeoPaint off them as well back in the day. That and QM3 ran really well on a 286/16 with 4megs of ram.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 19 of 20, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:
I used Quickmenu III by Neosoft to orginise my old dos system. It has a file manager built and a lot of other useful utilities i […]
Show full quote

I used Quickmenu III by Neosoft to orginise my old dos system. It has a file manager built and a lot of other useful utilities in it as well. Fits on a 720k floppy disk and can be used on XT class systems. To use backgrounds you'll need EMS. You can create submenus as well.Uses mouse and/or keyboard shortcuts.

"Quikmenu 3 is a fully graphical, icon based Dos menu. It allows you to easily create a menu for all your Dos programs and games with icons, marcos, and even phone connections! It comes with several internal utilities including a calculator, calendar, phone book, and a time log to keep track of what programs you use. It also has a easy to use, yet powerful file manager utility. Finally, you could also use Quikmenu on a network and send E-Mail right through its built in mailer!"

Disk(Unregistered) just a nag screen iirc

QuikMenu_III.zip

Extra Icons

QuikMenu_III_Weeds_Icons_Library.zip

nice! i will try this one out for sure.