VOGONS

First post, by hardrivethrutown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to reinstall windows NT 4.0 on a workstation that was given to me, the machine in question used to be on a network so I cannot log in as the old servers likely no longer exist.
I do not know the password to get into the machine either so my best bet was to reinstall the operating system, this was met with many problems however the first was detecting the hard disk which was able to load the operating system before I attempted to reinstall it (Note: I can still boot into the OS as I haven't even been able to get the installation to recognise the drive or drive controller to install over it).
When I tried to do the install initially I was met with the screen prompting me to "Please insert the disk labeled Manufacturer-supplied hardware support disk into drive A, my only other option was auto-detection which failed and prompted me to shut down the computer.
I am using a Quantum Viking II SCSI (Ultra2) with an Adaptec AHA-2940U2W PCI SCSI Controller and an Intel MS440GX motherboard

Is there any software/device drivers that would aid me in reinstalling NT 4.0? and that would fit on a floppy disk... I only have one disk, the rest are unfortunately corrupt.

My real only other option is trying to get onto the pre-installed version of NT 4, which I am unlikely to be able to do.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! 😀

Systems:
- R5 2600, GTX 1070, 16GB
- i7 950, GTX 480, 12GB
- C2Q Q6600, HD3870, 4GB
- Athlon 64 3500+, 6800GT, 2GB
- P4 3.2, FX55008X, 4GB
- P2 400, TNT2, 512MB
- P2 Xeon 400, Elsa PCI Video, 384MB

Reply 1 of 15, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its probably looking for the drivers for the SCSI controller without which the installer will not be able to find the hard drive. They should fit on a floppy and I assume they are still available from the original manufacturers web site.

I haven't installed NT4 in a while but on XP you are prompted to press F6 to provide the appropriate drivers during the very early stages of the installation.

Reply 2 of 15, by hardrivethrutown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It does something in the nature of that, it asks you to "Press S to provide additional device drivers", unfortunately I do not happen to have those device drivers 😢

Systems:
- i7 950, GTX 480, 12GB
- C2Q Q6600, HD3870, 4GB
- P4 3.2, FX55008X, 4GB
- P2 400, TNT2, 512MB

Reply 4 of 15, by hardrivethrutown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for providing the driver!

Only problem is that as soon as I tried to write it to a floppy... the floppy disk corrupted and no longer wants to be written to, I will try to find alternative methods, but I think it may be the end from here.
I'll try and try to get it to work, hopefully I will get somewhere!

Systems:
- i7 950, GTX 480, 12GB
- C2Q Q6600, HD3870, 4GB
- P4 3.2, FX55008X, 4GB
- P2 400, TNT2, 512MB

Reply 5 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can try resetting the password and seeing what driver NT4 has installed, it should see the adaptec controller: https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
I recommend resetting the password to blank.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 15, by hardrivethrutown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, that worked great! now I can enjoy a nice Windows NT experience!
You pretty much just have to follow the instructions given on the website, and yes, set the password to blank.
Thanks!

Systems:
- i7 950, GTX 480, 12GB
- C2Q Q6600, HD3870, 4GB
- P4 3.2, FX55008X, 4GB
- P2 400, TNT2, 512MB

Reply 7 of 15, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If its new enough to have usb on the system you can load suitable drivers and transfer files via usb stick. Downside is the usb stick needs to be formatted as fat16. There might be read/write drivers for fat32 now if you look hard enough. Formatting the usb stick to NT4s NTFS v4 for will get converted to NTFS v5 if you use the usb stick in system with W2k up and it can't be read by NT 4.0. There may have been drivers to sort this issue out as well it would be worth it if there was.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 15, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fat32 driver for NT4 https://sysinternals.d4rk4.ru/Utilities/Fat32.html

USB on NT4 https://alter.org.ua/docs/win/nt4_usb/

Folk have had success with Dells USB driver as well.

Filename
nt4usb.EXE
File size
4.82 MiB
Downloads
56 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Looks like NT4 with service packs after SP4 support NTFS v5.

Reply 9 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:

If its new enough to have usb on the system you can load suitable drivers and transfer files via usb stick. Downside is the usb stick needs to be formatted as fat16. There might be read/write drivers for fat32 now if you look hard enough. Formatting the usb stick to NT4s NTFS v4 for will get converted to NTFS v5 if you use the usb stick in system with W2k up and it can't be read by NT 4.0. There may have been drivers to sort this issue out as well it would be worth it if there was.

Catch is WinXP and below only support floppy to read the additional drivers this low in setup.

I'd recommend to the OP to get some more disks, a Gotek Floppy drive, or once the NT4 itch is scratch is itched Install Win2k. NT4 is interesting but 2K is more useful and should still run nice on a BX based system

Reply 10 of 15, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

Catch is WinXP and below only support floppy to read the additional drivers this low in setup.

I'd recommend to the OP to get some more disks, a Gotek Floppy drive, or once the NT4 itch is scratch is itched Install Win2k. NT4 is interesting but 2K is more useful and should still run nice on a BX based system

You can always slipstream/integrate RAID or AHCI drivers into a W2K or XP install CD, nLite makes this easy.

NT4 has its advantages, better compatibility with some 90s games, essentially the Win95 UI which is very lightweight. A fresh NT4 install can be moved to another PC without repercussions, device installation is more like DOS than Win95 or later; handy for later systems which can't run the installer. Once DMA is enabled with DMACHECK.EXE it sings, booting faster than W2K.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 11 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BushLin wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

You can always slipstream/integrate RAID or AHCI drivers into a W2K or XP install CD, nLite makes this easy.

NT4 has its advantages, better compatibility with some 90s games, essentially the Win95 UI which is very lightweight. A fresh NT4 install can be moved to another PC without repercussions, device installation is more like DOS than Win95 or later; handy for later systems which can't run the installer. Once DMA is enabled with DMACHECK.EXE it sings, booting faster than W2K.

Yep, agree on both, my point was simply having the drivers on USB isn't going to help with a clean install.
Even checked if nlite supported NT4, but it doesn't so didn't mention slipstreaming to try not to stray too far off topic, but as you brought it up 😀 NT4 still supports slipstreaming as well, you'll just have to do it the old fashion way, no gui driven software to guide you though.

And yeh, I actually really like NT4, run it on 2 machines now. But as OP has a BX motherboard I'm assuming something like a P2 300 as a minimum and even that can run 2k.

Reply 12 of 15, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NT4 was nothing more than NT 3.51 with a new front end. I wonder if you could customize NT 3.51 using registry hacks and later NT 4 files? Could be an interesting exercise.

Never had much luck transferring a NT4 hdds from one system to another without getting a HAL error.

Reply 13 of 15, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:

NT4 was nothing more than NT 3.51 with a new front end. I wonder if you could customize NT 3.51 using registry hacks and later NT 4 files? Could be an interesting exercise.

Can you use the same drivers? I've never even seen an NT 3.51 installation, let alone tinkered.

Caluser2000 wrote:

Never had much luck transferring a NT4 hdds from one system to another without getting a HAL error.

Pick the "Standard PC" HAL during install. I use Virtualbox to do the initial install, which also supports the MPC HAL, modern'ish multi-core hardware probably won't though.

On a side note, the Intellipoint drivers will add scroll wheel (EDIT: and presumably back button) support with or without an actual Intellipoint mouse. My go to install for minimum bloat is SP3, IE4.01SP2, Intellipoint 4.12, SP6a, DMACHECK.

Last edited by BushLin on 2019-06-24, 09:33. Edited 2 times in total.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 14 of 15, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BushLin wrote:
Caluser2000 wrote:

Can you use the same drivers? I've never even seen an NT 3.51 installation, let alone tinkered.

Yip. You can transfer the HPFS driver over from 3.51 to 4 to access OS/2 drives/partitions. There was test win95 shell for NT 3.51 called NewShell before NT4 was released. http://toastytech.com/guis/misc4.html

Reply 15 of 15, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could you format the drive and then boot off a DOS floppy with CD-ROM support and run winnt /b

Skips floppy portion of NT install.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif