VOGONS

First post, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Iam interested in using CF cards and IDE SSDs from china, I want them to last a long time, what can I do to improve longetivity of those drives in retro oses ? 😊

Any help is hugely appreciated 😊

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 1 of 2, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For an SSD leave 20% of the drive unformatted, I think that's about the only thing you can do and that will ensure at least it wears evenly I believe. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has any tips for 98 and SSDs too.

Reply 2 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some guy is selling a TRIM tool for MS-DOS, if my memory serves me well.. Can't remember his name, though.
Other than that, I can only warn about carefree use of FAT32 on an flash device. since it (its clusters, not just the FAT itself) is difficult ot align to 4kiB boundaries.
Both NTFS and FAT12/16 are less troublesome in that respect from what I know. Anyway, I'm just saying.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/151798-does-fat3 … #comment-968582
Paragon Partition Alignment Tool & Windows98 FAT32 partition

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//