VOGONS

First post, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
ages I used DOS. Today started my retro pc,
and coppied some stuff (dos programms) using win98

then went into dos-mode, started nc, and decided to do some cleanups, move progs, copy etc

it is soooo slow,

should i make some config changes to have this faster?

or this is like it is...

eg. I have a GAMES dir, with about 400mb of stuff, decided to move it to another folder - using NC, and it is not like just moving, it is like copying and is slower to do than copy from pendrive to hdd when i did it on win98

Reply 1 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Disk I/O can be done either in PIO (Programmable I/O) or DMA (Direct Memory Access) modes, with the latter being typically much faster. DOS, by default, does not support DMA, while Windows does, and that's probably the cause of the differences you experienced.

There exist DOS DMA drivers which you can use to speed up disk I/O in DOS, however you must not load them in any DOS session that you plan to run Windows from, because they will conflict with the existing Windows disk drivers.

See this thread:
UDMA drivers for DOS (Latest)

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 4, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another option is running SMARTDRV, especially handy for speeding up reads from a CD but won't always be the answer. Is supplied with DOS and the defaults aren't bad for a quick test.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 3 of 4, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BushLin wrote:

Another option is running SMARTDRV, especially handy for speeding up reads from a CD but won't always be the answer. Is supplied with DOS and the defaults aren't bad for a quick test.

Just be careful with enabling write-back caching, as any crash, power loss or hiccup could cause data loss. I've had games get corrupted and require a reinstall when the game decides to freeze in the middle of a cached write.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Just be careful with enabling write-back caching, as any crash, power loss or hiccup could cause data loss.

That's good advice. I always load SMARTDRV with the /X switch to disable write-behind caching.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys