VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I have been playing around with various ways of remotely controlling my Linux laptop (Thinkpad X230 with Linux Mint 19.1) from my various vintage laptops (mostly my upgraded Thinkpad 600E with PIII/500).

The one I've been using the most is TightVNC connecting to X11VNC Server. It works, but it is very slow, even with the special "DFMirage" driver.

I have heard that RDP is a faster protocol. But most implementations for Linux just use RDP as a wrapper for VNC. So I have been trying to get FreeRDP to work - with little success. The binaries in the repository do not work properly, and after compiling from the source with various options to try to get it to work, it still cannot connect and always returns some kind of cryptic error, whether I am trying to connect from a Linux client (Remmina) or with Windows 2000 using the RDP 5 client.

I can SSH into Linux to do terminal stuff, and that's fine, but not ideal. I'd like a graphical connection.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this front?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 4, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

Try here:
https://alternativeto.net/software/teamviewer/

Or an older version of norton pc anywhere

Since I'm looking for compatibility with Windows 98SE or 2000, I'm not going to find anything on the mainstream internet. That's why I'm asking here. I'll look into Norton PC Anywhere!

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 4, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

have you tried to find out how exactly this is getting so slow?
rdp uses less bandwidth in theory, but it uses a lot more power; it is usually far easier to get vnc to run fast under linux;
how is vnc run on serverside?